Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: The Thornton Room - Ground Floor, West Offices (G039). View directions

Contact: Democratic Services 

Webcast: video-recording

Items
No. Item

31.

Declarations of Interest

At this point in the meeting, the Executive Member is asked to

declare:

·        any personal interests not included on the Register of

Interests

·        any prejudicial interests or

·        any disclosable pecuniary interests

which he might have in respect of business on this agenda.

Minutes:

The Executive Member confirmed that he had no personal interests that were not included on the Register of Interests, nor any prejudicial or disclosable pecuniary interests, to declare in the business on the agenda.

32.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 77 KB

To approve and sign the minutes of the Decision Session held on 8 January 2018.

Minutes:

Resolved:  That the minutes of the Decision Session held on 8 January 2018 be approved and signed as a correct record.

 

33.

Public Participation

At this point in the meeting, members of the public who have registered to speak can do so. The deadline for registering is 5.00pm on Friday, 2 March 2018.  Members of the public can speak on agenda items or matters within the Executive Member’s remit.

 

To register to speak please contact the Democracy Officer for the meeting, on the details at the foot of the agenda.

 

Filming, Recording or Webcasting Meetings

Please note that, subject to available resources, this meeting will be filmed and webcast, or recorded, including any registered public speakers who have given their permission. The broadcast can be viewed at http://www.york.gov.uk/webcasts or, if recorded, this will be uploaded onto the Council’s website following the meeting.

 

Residents are welcome to photograph, film or record Councillors and Officers at all meetings open to the press and public. This includes the use of social media reporting, i.e. tweeting.  Anyone wishing to film, record or take photos at any public meeting should contact the Democracy Officer (contact details are at the foot of this agenda) in advance of the meeting.

 

The Council’s protocol on Webcasting, Filming & Recording of Meetings ensures that these practices are carried out in a manner both respectful to the conduct of the meeting and all those present.  It can be viewed at

 

https://www.york.gov.uk/downloads/file/11406/protocol_for_webcasting_filming_and_recording_of_council_meetings_20160809

 

 

Minutes:

It was reported that there had been one request from a councillor to speak at the meeting under the Council’s Public Participation Scheme and one written representation, both in respect of the 5 Year Flood Plan Update.

 

Cllr D’Agorne welcomed the activity to date, but expressed residents’ concerns about the knock-on effects of the proposed measures on other parts of the city, and on the conduct of consultation. He requested further information about how the flood barrier would protect the city centre, and asked for complete transparency in any communication issued regarding flood protection work in the city.

 

Written representations were received from Cllr Dave Taylor expressing concerns about the effect of increased pumping capacity of the Foss Barrier on residents to the south of the barrier, and the need to find acceptable solutions to flooding on New Walk, with measures to slow the flow of water upstream.  Officers undertook to provide a written response. 

[Note: the written representations and response have now been published online as a supplement to the agenda for this meeting.]

34.

York 5 Year Flood Plan Update pdf icon PDF 123 KB

This report provides an update regarding progress on the York Five Year Flood Plan, including work carried out by the Environment Agency, since the last update in December 2017.

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved:  To note the update report and the evidence presented by the Environment Agency.

 

                   To recommend that officers prepare a report for Executive to review the strategic development issues relating to the flood defence schemes across the city.

 

Reason:     To update the Executive on work done to progress the five year flood plan for York.

 

Minutes:

The Executive Member considered a report that provided an update on progress with the York 5 Year Plan, including work carried out by the Environment Agency (EA) since the last update in December 2017.

 

The EA representative reported that they had been working closely with communities across the city to look at what could be done to mitigate flood risk in each community area. There had been polarised opinions in some areas and the EA would continue to meet with groups.  Cllr Dave Taylor had volunteered to co-ordinate discussions in Fishergate.

 

During the discussion on the report, the following points were made and clarified:

·        The B16 flood cell (New Walk) had been split into eight sub-cells.  Though a drain on staff time, this had proved effective and was likely to save time in the longer term. A monthly newsletter was distributed within the cell.

·        Feedback was encouraged from residents and communities, and it was hoped to get people on board with any plans that would be implemented.

·        A proposal was being developed in cells F8, F10 and F11 to combine resources into upstream storage, similar to work done in Pickering, to create benefits all the way downstream into the city.

·        A workable solution had been developed for Clementhorpe Road and a detailed design was now being developed, with a view to start building in the Autumn.

·        Blue Beck in Cell B10 would require additional approval processes before work could be done, to ensure no damage was done to the SSSI.

·        It was suggested that a report be taken to Executive outlining how funds had been spent to date, future spending plans, and how key decisions would be scrutinised and supported by the council’s democratic process.

·        Work was ongoing to identify social media groups across the city, and the EA were working with council communications teams to ensure messages were effectively communicated.

·        The council’s newly appointed resilience officer would work closely with the EA project team and the council’s Emergency Planning Unit to ensure flood resilience

messages and works programmes were developed in the city.

 

Resolved:  (i)      That the update report and the information presented by the Environment Agency be noted.

 

                   (ii)      That Officers be recommended to prepare a report for Executive to review the strategic development issues relating to the flood defence schemes across the city.

 

Reason:     To update the Executive on work done to progress the five year flood plan for York.

 

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page