Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and minutes

Venue: St Lawrence's CE School, Heslington Road, York

Items
No. Item

1.

Surgery

Minutes:

An informal drop-in surgery gave people the opportunity to talk to councillors, the neighbourhood managements officer, and the street environment officer. Dave Meigh & Brian Williams  from Parks & Open spaces were there to talk about alterations to Tower Gardens,  and Penny Goff visited from the NHS Trust.   

2.

Welcome

Minutes:

Jonathan Tyler opened the meeting and welcomed everyone and gave apologies from the safer neighbourhood Police team,and Waste Strategy.

3.

Updates

The safer neighbourhood police team and street environment officer will tell the meeting about their recent activities.

Minutes:

Jackie Armitage gave a presentation on the Ground Force Event that took place in November. It was a wet and cold day but 25 gardens were visually improved on Heslington Road. Leaflets were delivered to 400 properties in the area. The team has been working with the landlords to clear rubbish. The team will return before summer to do more work.

4.

Fulford Road Corridor

Further improvements to the Fulford Road corridor will be explained.

Minutes:

David Webster gave a presentation on the A19 Fulford Road & Fishergate Improvements Cemetery Road to Escrick Street. He gave out  information leaflets and had presented plans to show. He mentioned that at the last meeting there had been complaints about the bus lane issues and now hoped that everyone was happy with the results. One resident said they liked what had been done. He spoke about the northern end Cemetery Road – Escrick St , information had gone out to all the streets affected and other’s nearby. The crossing near St George’s School would be safer, the speed limit would be reduced, which may encourage people to cycle. A public meeting will be held on the 1st March.

David then asked for any questions:

Q From the south will there be an  illuminated 20mph sign.

A. Side roads no, Main sign internally lit or & overhead lights.

A resident spoke about Fawcett St & Blue Bridge Lane moving across traffic, enhance hatching more refuge for cyclists. Bollard to protect  cycists.

It was suggested that the resident liaised with David after the meeting.

Q. Possible lights on Cemetery Road?.

A. Not part of this scheme, not ruled out completely may go back to a option.

Q. Resident of Grange Garth pleased with 20mph, but asked  will it not increase speed elsewhere ?.

A. Not really, confident about the area with a controlled speed.

A resident commented about quality of life  in the area not a lot to ask people to put your foot off the gas for a short time.

  

5.

Waste Strategy

A representative will outline changes to doorstep collections for the city and how this will affect you.

Minutes:

No representative from Waste Strategy was present, but Kristina has information that had been sent from Waste Stragegy,the residents asked some questions:

Q. Can the collections be clarified? Resident saying they were paying same amount of Council tax as other residents who did get collections.

A. Will chase which streets are to continue.

Q.Can a vehicle not be parked in a street and filled up by residents with there green waste instead of the bags which split?.

A.Other wards have a similar arrangement will look at other methods.

6.

Local Improvement Schemes

The final list of proposed local improvement schemes will be discussed and decided.

Minutes:

A general discussion took place about the Provisional List of Local Improvement schemes 2011/2012 that were published in the Jan 2011 edition of Your Ward. A resident asked why the votes were not on the list.  The votes are not automatically put in but can be obtained from the Neighbourhood Management Unit, Kristina will email the resident with the votes, and we will look into do this for next time.

Q. How are the current planting schemes going as they had noticed there were gardening schemes for 2011-12.

A. The planting had gone well, no current concerns. Cllr A D’Agorne will send out a report soon.

Q. What is FS-11-21.

A. This is a scheme from York In Transition to help cut the carbon footprint of the city. Working with the energy saving trust.  

 

The list of schemes approved for funding in 2011/12 subject to the schemes being legal, feasible and within budget.

 

 

 

 

FS-11-17

Continuation of the kerbside garden waste collections

£2500

 

Six times per year for streets that don’t already receive

 

 

Fortnightly collections.

 

FS-11-33

Grant to Older Citizen’s Advocacy York for their continued work in the ward and the city.

£2000

FS-11-25

Grant to Young People’s services for 2 detached youth workers to work one evening a week in the Fishergate Ward to build positive relationships with young people.

£3030

FS-11-24

Grant to Street Sports York for another 10 varied sport sessions for young people in Fishergate.

£2000

FS-11-23

Grant to Active York towards the Fund for the Gifted, which supports talented young athletes with grants towards training and equipment.

£300

FS-11-13

Investigate the possibility of setting up a community orchard in the Fishergate/Fulford Ings area.

£500

FS-11-07

Grant to Sustrans to contribute towards the cost of a ranger to maintain the Sustrans routes in the ward.

£1000

FS-11-27

Young People’s community chest to provide activities & events for people throughout the year.

£1000

FS-11-21

Fund to contribute towards a project to inform and encourage property owners to adapt their houses to cut energy use.

£500

FS-11-34

Grant to Age Concern York for a monthly toenail cutting service in local venues.

£500

FS-11-16

Identify suitable public spaces in Fishergate and grow edible plants in them.

£500

FS-11-15

Set up free fruit and nut tree voucher scheme for local businesses, schools, community groups etc. 

£500

 

 

 

FS-11-14

Continue voucher scheme for free fruit and nut trees to residents.

£200

FS-11-30

Fund to purchase prizes for winners of the Fishergate in Bloom competition 2011/12

£250

FS-11-26

Grant to York Youth Council to contribute funding towards a city centre young people’s building.

£800

FS-11-12

Investigate whether the Danesgate Orchard could be extended into the mast field.

£750

FS-11-31B

Fund to install a new notice board in the ward.

£2000

FS-11-10

Install bigger planters and flowers outside Fishergate shops and around the post box to deter vandals.

£500

FS-11-28

Grant to CYC Inclusive Arts team (in partnership with York Housing Association) to work with residents of Auden House. Work will be exhibited in the public  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

Have Your Say

Your Chance to ask questions about local issues and concerns.

Minutes:

A discussion took place about the clearing up after the floods, could it be extended to St George’s field. Cllr D’Agorne said it the work was partly down to him complaining. Can other solutions be found to hosing which causes mud splatters?. Can a snow plough not be used?.Resident spoke of rumour of cuts with flood barriers. Not Fishergate area. More of an issue of national politics.

Joanne Cooteps spoke about the progression of a Map of Public Rights of Way for Fishergate that she is working on. There is six weeks to object to rights of way indicated on the map.Cllr. Taylor suggested some ways to make this better known to citizens.

  

 

 

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page