Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Holy Reedemer Church, Boroughbridge Road

Contact: Julie Hood 

Items
No. Item

1.

Drop-in surgery 6.30pm

Minutes:

Residents had the opportunity to talk with Cllr David Horton; Cllr Tracey Simpson-Laing; Julie Hood, Neighbourhood Management Officer; Michal Czekajlo, Neighbourhood Management Support Officer; Rachel Stewart, Street Environment Officer; PC Sara Hodge; Paul Bickle, Energise Manager; Alan Bell, Fire Station Manager; Sue Houghton, York Northwest Project Manager; Dave Caulfield, Head of City Development; Ann Ward, York Northwest Development Officer; Ben Murphy, York Northwest Development Office;, Richard Bogg, Divisional Head, Traffic.

2.

Welcome and Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting will be signed and there will be an update on any action points.

Minutes:

Councillor Tracey Simpson-Laing welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

It was agreed that agenda item ‘Former British Sugar and Manor School sites’  to be discussed first.

 

The minutes of the last meeting were agreed as a true record and signed by Cllr Tracey Simpson-Laing.

3.

Former British Sugar/Manor School Sites Update

Feedback on planning consultation and an update on where we are. Sue Houghton, City of York, York Central Project Manager.

Minutes:

Apologies were given from Associated British Foods

 

Dave Caulfield and Sue Houghton gave an overview update on the development plan for the former British Sugar and Manor School sites, including the following points:

 

  • The boundary of the area for development includes both British Sugar and former Manor School sites with the total area of 41.3 ha.
  • A master plan for the area is being prepared by consultants for Associated British Foods. The master plan will show the broad layout of the development, which will include the location of access arrangements for both the former British Sugar and former Manor School sites.
  • The development is likely to be phased over 10-15 years. It is unlikely that development will start on site until at least 2012.
  • The site is likely to include local shopping and community facilities. The properties will include family housing and affordable housing. The new development will also need to provide open space.
  • There are two existing access points into the former British Sugar site – one on Millfield Lane and one on Plantation Drive. The existing access point to the former Manor School site is on Low Poppleton Lane. The scale of the proposed development means that there will need to be new access points to ensure that it is adequately served. The Consultation Draft identifies two possible options to provide new access for vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists. One option is to provide a new access via the former Civil Service Sports Ground onto Boroughbridge Road. The other option is to provide a new access via the former Manor School site onto Boroughbridge Road. The access through Ouseacres alongside the Railway lines will also be considered. The precise location and position of these options will need to be considered within the master planning stage of work.
  • The existing trees and areas of landscape value will be retained within the new development. If it is proposed that any of these trees are to be removed, the developer will need to give clear reasons for this and show that other options have been considered. In addition, new tree planting will need to be carried out as part of the proposed development.
  • Sustainability of the development is a top priority. A sustainable development is one, which minimises its impact on the world’s resources and climate change.

 

The recent consultation generated a range of comments, the majority of which concerned issues of access, traffic, open space, trees, leisure facilities, affordable housing and new employment opportunities. There was support for a wide range of community facilities and for sustainable travel options including tram train.  A full summary of responses will be taken to councillors (through the LDF Working Group) as soon as possible and will be made publicly available.

 

The next step is to report back on the consultation during Summer 2011, then the draft Supplementary Planning Document will be revised and agreed in Autumn 2011.

 

The following questions were raised:

 

Q         How many residents were consulted and how was the decision of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Safer Neighbourhood Police Team

PC Sara Hodge will give an update on police operations in the area and answer any questions you have.

Minutes:

PC Sara Hodge gave an update on the work of the Safer Neighbourhood Team

 

General crime and anti social behaviour has fallen over recent months.

 

Following a review of Policing in York the following changes will be implemented from March 21st 2011.

 

  • The City will be divided into four Inspector led areas; East, West; Rural and City Centre.
  • Acomb will be part of the West Area Policing team, which will be led by Insp Phil Cain.
  • Inspector Cain will be responsible for the Safer Neighbourhood Team and the Response Team.  Both will be based at Acomb Police Station
  • The Safer Neighbourhood Team will change their shift pattern to ensure seven-day cover.
  • The current PCSO’s will remain in Acomb with more access to cycles so the visibility of the Officers is expected to remain the same.

 

If you have any information that could help us with tackling crime please inform us.

 

The following questions were raised:

 

Q            Cycling on footpaths continues to be an issue, especially on the A59  

 

A         Sara will ensure PCSO’s include this area on the patrols.

 

Q         The young people’s session at Global finishes at 9.30pm. At times there is some anti social behaviour as the young people leave.  

 

A         Sara will ask the PCSO’s to include this area and time ont heir patrosl.

 

Q         There are a lot of cycles being stolen at the moment, can these be traced?

 

A         There is no system which could track them. It is believed that the cycles are being moved to other cities to be sold on.

 

Q         Are there any crime figures for Sovereign Park?

 

A         They can be obtained and forwarded on.

 

Several residents thanked to the Police for tackling crime quickly and efficiently.

5.

Local Improvement Schemes

This is an opportunity for discussion on the provisional list of schemes for 2011-2012.

Minutes:

Residents were given opportunity to raise questions and comments regarding proposed local improvement schemes for year 2011-2012.

 

 

The budget will be decided near the end on February after which more information will be available.  There is a possibility that the budget it will cut by 10%.  Some of the schemes may not be funded and some may be partly funded

 

The following schemes were agreed subject to the budget available.

  • Community Ranger Patrols
  • Grant to Age Concern to help with the costs of room hire to be able to offer increased services to the elderly
  • Grant to OCAY to enable them to continue to provide a service for older people in Acomb
  • Grant to Safe and Sound Homes to enable them to provide emergency accommodation for up to 100 young people
  • Grant to the Friends of Acomb Green to hold a summer fete and make some improvements to the Green
  • Grant to Active York to support young people in developing their opportunities in their chosen sport
  • Grant to Carr Vikings Football Club
  • Grant to York Youth Council to open a ity centre space of ryoung people
  • Grant to Street Sport to provide 13 X 2 hour sports sessions throughout the ward for young people
  • Grant to York Youth Service to fund sessions for young people
  • Grant to Sovereign Park Residents Association to hold a community Wild Day in sovereign Park in 2011-02-10
  • To provide a bench half way up Oak Rise Hill
  • Provide one street light at the bottom of Wheatlands Grove
  • Provide one street light for the end of Princess Drive.

6.

Have Your Say!

Your chance to ask question about local issues and concerns.

Minutes:

It was noted that York has applied to become a World Heritage site.  The meeting agreed to include a speaker on the next meeting agenda.

 

The following questions were raised.

 

Q         Will the cycle path on Beckfireld lane be extended?  

 

A         No, it will not go ahead, it would not be cost effective.  

 

Q         Is cycling on the cycle path a legal requirement, or you can cycle on the road if you choose to?

 

A         Cycle paths are not mandatory. You should cycle where you feel safe.

 

Q         When should cycle lights be switched on?

 

A         There is no exact regulation, they should be switched on when it gets dark, not long after sunset, and it also depends on the weather conditions.

 

Q            Cycling on the road is sometimes difficult and unsafe due to accumulation of debris and potholes.

 

A         I agree it is difficult sometimes. Potholes and debris should be reported.

 

Q         There is a problem with refuse trucks damaging the kerb stones when they reverse on my street.

 

A            Please could you pass your the details to us and we will report it.

 

Q         Why has the free swim for over 60’s stopped?

 

A         The funding for this scheme has been withdrawn.

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page