Yorkshire and Humber Strategic Migration Group
The Yorkshire and Humber Strategic Migration Group (SMG) provides a strategic leadership, advisory, decision-making and coordination function for migration in the Yorkshire and Humber region. The SMG’s core responsibilities include:
• Facilitating collaboration amongst national, regional and local government, private providers, non-governmental organisations and, regional and local stakeholders to develop a strategic approach to promoting the benefits of migration and minimising any adverse impacts;
• Facilitating strategic debate on migration issues among partners in the Yorkshire and Humber region;
• Monitoring migration impacts and trends, and raising awareness of issues, risks and opportunities within the Yorkshire and Humber region to inform policy;
• Contributing to the development and implementation of local, regional and national migration policy;
• Working with local delivery partners to design and oversee delivery of services that meet migrants needs in the Yorkshire and Humber region;
• Engaging and communicating with national, regional and local stakeholders; and
• Acting as a conduit for information sharing between the Home Office, other government departments and regional partners.
The membership of the SMG is made up of representatives from the region’s local authorities, Government and other statutory organisations, the VCS and other stakeholders. It usually meets a minimum of three times per year and secretariat support is provided by Migration Yorkshire.
Local authority representatives (or their subs) are either elected members or senior officers with responsibility for the migration agenda.
- Councillor Michael Pavlovic - Hull Road Ward
- Laura Williams (Substitute) - Assistant Director of Customer, Communities and Inclusion