Proposals for Children's Centre and City Centre Youth Offer Provision
Purpose of Report: This paper is a response to the decisions made
at an Executive Meeting on 17 March 2016. Members were asked to
agree the following:
a. endorse the implementation of new place-based prevention and early intervention services within Local Area Teams
b. agree to a public consultation and further paper on the delivery of the children's centres as part of the new operating model
c. agree to receive a further paper addressing finalised proposals on revising the city wide and city centre youth offer as part of the new operating model
The report will outline the public response to the Children's Centre consultation and identify proposals for both the delivery of services at an early years level, as well as intended plans for the delivery of services from current children's services locations. It will outline preferred options for this and how this will then be implemented as part of the Local Area Teams approach which was endorsed at the March meeting.
The city wide youth offer will be identified to the Executive with specific detail around how the city centre offer will look.
The paper agreed by Executive in March set out the following as key
features of the new offer:
- identifying the best delivery vehicle for the counselling service
- early identification, tracking and response to older young people within the Local Area Team model, for proactive engagement within their communities
- a potential shared approach to city centre drop-in access
Members will be asked to:
- approve proposals to review the delivery of children's centre services in line with the Local Area Team approach.
- endorse the plans for the city wide youth offer and redesign of the city centre youth offer within this.
Decision type: Key
Reason Key: Cabinet Decision - a 'Key Issue' - decision leading to savings or expenditure of £500,000 or above;
Decision status: Decision Made
Wards affected: (All Wards);
Notice of proposed decision first published: 03/05/2016
Decision due: 14/07/16 by Executive
Lead member: Executive Member for Education, Children and Young People
Lead director: Corporate Director of Children, Education and Communities
Department: Directorate of Children, Education and Communities
The paper will include
specific public consultation on reviewing the use of children's
centre services. The approach has been to take views on 3 key
proposals within this:
- ensuring support for all families
- do more when families need more
- make the best use of our buildings and staff
The consultation has been delivered in a variety of ways to residents, families and practitioners across the city. An online survey is in process as well as one to one support for more targeted families to contribute where needed. Various forums with children's centre customers and partners will also be included. The consultation itself has been designed in conjunction with children's centre staff and current centre users.
A consultation on city centre access to support was completed in Autumn 2015 and was included within the Executive meeting in March 2016. Elements of this will again be referred to. Work has also been undertaken with Castlegate and Connexions staff, and partners involved in city centre offers to young adults and older young people.
As the wider Local Area Team model progresses, a series of staff and partner engagement communications and session have been undertaken to ensure ongoing dialogues as the model develops.
To date consultees have included:
- Children's Centre service users
- whole city population
- young people accessing Castlegate
- CYC staff (with a focus on CSES and CANS)
- partner agencies
Making Representations: Contact report author
- 14/07/2016 - Executive Prevention and Early Intervention Services - a proposal for a new way of working 14/07/2016
- Proposals for Children's Centre and City Centre Youth Offer Provision