Purpose of committee
The Executive approved new governance arrangements for Council companies at its meeting in June 2016. These involved establishing a new Shareholder Committee whose terms of reference allow it to:
· Act as owners/joint owners of the company;
· Sign off Strategic business plans;
· Monitor performance and financial delivery against strategic business plans;
· Exercise decision making over reserved matters;
· Determine the remuneration of Directors and any senior managers as identified in the specific scheme of delegation and agreeing any performance related bonus payments to staff;
· Make recommendations to Executive for any investment in/asset transfers to or lending to companies;
· Delegating specific functions to Officers of the Council to increase commercial flexibility.
The Committee is a Committee of the Executive and the same rules of procedure apply to its meetings as apply to the Executive. Voting Members therefore need to be members of the Executive.
In line with the arrangements for Executive meetings the Leaders of each of the opposition groups or their nominated substitute will be invited to attend meetings and be given full rights to participate in meetings although they will not be entitled to vote. An Independent Member will also be allowed to attend in the same capacity.
Distribution of decision making powers for companies
Support officer: Michelle Bennett. Democracy Officer