Make It York Update
This report provides an update from Make It York (MIY) on the company’s performance since the report to this committee in November. A business plan for 2022/23 is set out for approval together with a new Scheme of Delegation for the company.
Members considered a report that provided an update on Make It York’s (MIY) performance, the business plan and the Scheme of Delegation.
The Managing Director of MIY provided a presentation on the business plan and she highlighted the processes in place, including the key priorities and values that had been set for the next three years.
During discussion, it was noted that Make It York:
· Was valued by key partners.
· Would be more transparent and clear.
· Would increase partnership working.
· Would continue to provide a visitor information centre in York.
· Would focus on activities for York residents in the business plan.
· Had a tender process in place for all events and activities.
The Chair welcomed the progress made and in answer to questions raised regarding key performance indicators (KPI’s), Markets, sustainability and vacant shop premises, the Managing Director confirmed that:
· Tenders could be submitted on MIY’s website and the Scheme of Delegation summary could be emailed to Committee Members.
· A researcher had been appointed to monitor the KPI’s and they would be measured through evaluation of events and feedback from consumers and members.
· A Market Strategy would be produced to help define further scope and responsibilities of all Markets that fall within MIY’s remit.
· A Sustainable Policy was under consideration which would set out actions that could be taken to protect the environment through carbon reduction in activities MIY managed.
· Sustainability would also be measured through the tender process and terms and conditions for participation in the Christmas Market would include the banning of single-use plastics.
· A Tourism Strategy was under consideration, which would support the hospitality sector to develop a more ecological friendly city, including encouraging a more sustainable way to travel to York
· A York Create Fund was being considered to generate funding for local artists to produce and present their work.
· MIY were aiming to achieve the Good Business Charter. Once attained, they would encourage other businesses to sign up and could mandate this in their tendering process.
· There was a range of measures in place to encourage people to take up vacant retail premises.
· Street cleaning was not within MIY’s remit but they would support actions taken to improve the public realm.
The Committee supported the banning of single use plastics at the Christmas Market and commented that they would welcome this approach across more events. They agreed a shared partnership vision and ambition for the Shambles Market was required and the Managing Director was commended on what she had achieved so far.
(i) That MIY’s performance to date in 2021/22, be noted.
(ii) That MIY’s business plan for 2022/23, be approved.
(iii) That MIY’s Scheme of Delegation, be approved.
Reason: To ensure sound governance of the company.
- Cover Report, item 31. PDF 298 KB View as HTML (31./1) 43 KB
- Annex A - Business Plan, item 31. PDF 4 MB
- Annex B - Scheme of Delegation, item 31. PDF 547 KB
- Annex C - Quarterly Narrative Report - January - April 2021, item 31. PDF 446 KB
- Annex D - Quarterly Narrative Report May - July 2021, item 31. PDF 572 KB
- Annex E - Quarterly Narrative August - October 2021, item 31. PDF 595 KB
- Annex F - Quarterly Narrative October 21 to January 2022, item 31. PDF 620 KB
- Annex G - Service Level Agreement, item 31. PDF 321 KB View as HTML (31./8) 59 KB
- Restricted enclosure View the reasons why document 31./9 is restricted
- Restricted enclosure View the reasons why document 31./10 is restricted