Renewal of Sex Establishment Licence for Upstairs (Mansion), 53-55 Micklegate, York, YO1 6LJ.
This report seeks Members determination of an application for the renewal of a Sex Establishment Licence for a sexual entertainment venue which has been made under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, Schedule 3 Control of Sex Establishments.
Members considered a report which asked them to determine an application for the renewal of a Sex Establishment Licence for a Sexual Entertainment Venue which had been made under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, Schedule 3 Control of Sex Establishments in respect of Mansion (Upstairs), 53-55 Micklegate, York, YO1 6LJ.
In coming to their decision, Members took into consideration all the evidence and submissions that were presented to them including:
1. The application form.
2. The Licensing Managers report and her comments made at the hearing, including that the application was for the renewal of a sex establishment licence in line with Section 27 of the Policing and Crime Act 2009 which allowed local authorities to regulate lap dancing clubs and similar venues. Members were advised that the establishment had been operating for a number of years without incident.
3. The comments made by the applicant at the hearing. He advised that the club is operated responsibly and discreetly and that no complaints had been received from local residents.
4. The comments made in writing and at the hearing by representatives of York Feminist Network. They asked that Members considered the Council’s obligations under the Equality Act 2010 and argued that the licence should not be granted due to sensitive nearby premises such as charity offices and a church. They also advised that they were aware of women feeling threatened in the Micklegate area.
The Chair advised the representors that if any crimes against females are taking place in the Micklegate area then they should be reported to the Police in order for an evidence base to exist.
Members were presented with the following options:
Option 1 Renew the Licence.
Option 2 Renew the licence with modified/additional conditions imposed by the Licensing Gambling and Regulatory Committee.
Option 3 Reject the renewal application.
Resolved: That Members agreed Option 1 to renew the Licence.
Reason: The premise has operated as a lap dancing venue since September 2006 without any reported incidents.
- Upstairs (2) SEL hearing report, item 13. PDF 87 KB
- ANNEX 1 Application form, item 13. PDF 613 KB
- ANNEX 2 Current SEL, item 13. PDF 541 KB
- ANNEX 3 - objection, item 13. PDF 637 KB
- Restricted enclosure View the reasons why document 13./5 is restricted
- ANNEX 5 - Map, item 13. PDF 144 KB
- ANNEX 5A - Key to map, item 13. PDF 34 KB
- ANNEX 6 CYC SEL Policy, item 13. PDF 71 KB
- ANNEX 7 Standard Conditions October 2010, item 13. PDF 78 KB
- ANNEX 8 SEL Policy considerations, item 13. PDF 71 KB