Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: The Thornton Room - Ground Floor, West Offices (G039). View directions

Contact: Bartek Wytrzyszczewski  Democracy Officer

Webcast: video recording

Items
No. Item

1.

Declarations of Interest

At this point in the meeting, the Executive Member is asked to

declare:

 

·        any personal interests not included on the Register of Interests

·        any prejudicial interests or

·        any disclosable pecuniary interests

 

which he may have in respect of business on this agenda.

Minutes:

At this point in the meeting, the Executive Member was asked to declare any personal interests not included on the Register of Interests, any prejudicial interests or any disclosable pecuniary interests which he had in the business on the agenda. No additional interests were declared.

2.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 60 KB

To approve and sign the minutes of the Decision Session held on 08 May 2017.

Minutes:

Resolved:           That the minutes of the Decision Session held on 08 May 2017 be approved as a correct record and then signed by the Executive Member.

3.

Public Participation

At this point in the meeting, members of the public who have registered their wish to speak at the meeting can do so. The deadline for registering is at 5.00pm on Friday 30 June 2017.

 

Members of the public may register to speak on an item on the agenda or an issue within the Executive Member’s remit.

 

Filming, Recording or Webcasting Meetings

Please note this meeting may be filmed and webcast or recorded. Thisincludes any registered public speakers who have given their permission. This broadcast can be viewed at

http://www.york.gov.uk/webcasts.

 

Residents are welcome to photograph, film or record Councillors and Officers at all meetings open to the press and public. This includes the use of social media reporting e.g. tweeting. Anyone wishing to film, record or take photos at any public meeting should contact the Democracy Officer (whose contact details are at the foot of this agenda) in advance of the meeting.

 

The Council’s protocol on Webcasting, Filming & Recording of meetings ensures that these practices are carried out in a manner both respectful to the conduct of the meeting and all those present. It can be viewed at:

http://www.york.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/11406/protocol_for_webcasting_filming_and_recording_of_council_meetings_20160809.pdf or, if recorded, this will be uploaded to the website following the meeting.

Minutes:

It was reported that there had been two registrations to speak at the meeting under the Council’s Public Participation Scheme.

 

Councillor Aspden spoke in relation to item 4 of the agenda (Fulford Flood Protection Funding Petition) in his capacity as a ward councillor, emphasising his support of the petition and flood protection funding as well as endorsing Options 1 and 2 highlighted in the report.

 

Councillor Hayes spoke in relation to item 7 of the agenda (York 5 Year Plan Flood Scheme Update) in his capacity as a ward councillor, raising his concerns on flood defences in Clementhorpe area, particularly on timings of the works planned to be undertaken. He highlighted the need for temporary measures to be put into place over Winter 2017/2018 to reassure people and avoid potential flooding before works commenced.

4.

Fulford Flood Protection Funding Petition pdf icon PDF 136 KB

This report provides background, analysis and recommendations in relation to the petition which calls for additional flood defence works in the area, including protection or an alternative route for Fordlands Road residents during flood events and completion of the flood defence works for the A19.

Decision:

Resolved:           That Options 1 and 2 be approved, subject to the following condition:

 

Condition

The Officers will seek additional external funding to conduct investigations linked with Environmental Agency.

 

Option 1- the Executive Member is recommended to support and endorse the delivery of A19 flood alleviation works through the works programme of the Germany Beck housing development highways improvements.

 

Reason: This provides the most cost effective and efficient mechanism for delivery of the flood risk reduction works and realises the views of the petitioners.

 

Option 2 – the Executive Member is recommended to support the further development of funding and design options for the delivery of the Fordlands Road flood risk management options.

 

Reason: Flooding of Fordlands Road will continue to cause repeat problems for the local community without further intervention; further work is needed to address the concerns of the community as detailed in the petition.

 

Reason:              To ensure financial viability of the project.

Minutes:

The Executive Member considered a report providing background, analysis and recommendations in relation to the petition which called for additional flood defence works in the area, including protection or an alternative route for Fordlands Road residents during flood events and completion of the flood defence works for the A19.

 

The Flood Risk and Asset Manager was in attendance to give an update and answer questions. He highlighted the range of options identified for the Executive Member to consider, exploring costs and scope for further development. It was further noted that:

·        the costs provided in Options 1 and 2 in Paragraph 9 of the report were an estimate and dependent on further survey results;

·        the contribution from the local levy could be sought to cover these costs;

·        further contribution from the Department of Transport as part of the resilience highway network programme was possible;

·        there was no current funding identified to further the progress of works on Fordlands Road.

 

The Executive Member thanked the Officer and it was

 

Resolved:           That Options 1 and 2 be approved, subject to the following condition:

 

Condition

The Officers will seek additional external funding to conduct investigations linked with the Environmental Agency.

 

Option 1- the Executive Member is recommended to support and endorse the delivery of A19 flood alleviation works through the works programme of the Germany Beck housing development highways improvements.

 

Reason: This provides the most cost effective and efficient mechanism for delivery of the flood risk reduction works and realises the views of the petitioners.

 

Option 2 – the Executive Member is recommended to support the further development of funding and design options for the delivery of the Fordlands Road flood risk management options.

 

Reason: Flooding of Fordlands Road will continue to cause repeat problems for the local community without further intervention; further work is needed to address the concerns of the community as detailed in the petition.

 

Reason:              To ensure financial viability of the project.

5.

Osbaldwick Beck Channel Improvements pdf icon PDF 100 KB

This report provides suggested improvements for Osbaldwick Beck Channel. The Executive Member is recommended to approve the renewal and reinstatement of the current watercourse layout and associated structures through silt removal, weir and sluice gate renewal and works to masonry channel sides and associated structures.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved:           That Option 2 be approved: The renewal and reinstatement of the current watercourse layout and associated structures through silt removal, weir and sluice gate renewal and works to masonry channel sides and associated structures. Work would then move to feasibility studies and work with key partners such as the Friends of St Nicholas Fields to explore the potential for a second phase of works to enhance the watercourse in the park.

 

 

Reason:              Significant works are required to remove silt and vegetation from the site. This will provide an improved amenity for users of the park. Phase 2 works to develop re-naturalisation of the watercourse could deliver further improvements where feasible and funding allows.

Minutes:

The report providing suggested improvements for Osbaldwick Beck Channel was presented to the Executive Member. The Flood Risk and Asset Manager gave an update and highlighted the potential for further work through the Water Framework Directive and programmes developed by the Environment Agency. It was confirmed that the options presented had been appraised by the ward members and there was no risk of domestic flooding identified as part of the works proposed. It was, therefore,

 

Resolved:           That Option 2 be approved: The renewal and reinstatement of the current watercourse layout and associated structures through silt removal, weir and sluice gate renewal and works to masonry channel sides and associated structures. Work would then move to feasibility studies and work with key partners such as the Friends of St Nicholas Fields to explore the potential for a second phase of works to enhance the watercourse in the park.

 

 

Reason:              Significant works are required to remove silt and vegetation from the site. This will provide an improved amenity for users of the park. Phase 2 works to develop re-naturalisation of the watercourse could deliver further improvements where feasible and funding allows.

6.

Health & Safety Annual Report pdf icon PDF 151 KB

This report gives an overview of the Health & Safety (H&S) governance arrangements, key risks and activity in operation during 2016/17. It also gives a progress update on the newly formed H&S shared service formed by North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) and City of York Council (CYC) operating under a collaboration agreement.

Decision:

Resolved:           That the following be noted and agreed:

 

a)   the governance arrangements in place, in addition to the key H&S risks together with the council’s response to managing and responding to those risks;

b)   the progress made in establishing and commencing the H&S shared service;

c)   the focus of current and future work and that a follow-up report summarising any H&S activity following the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower be considered at a future Decision Session under this portfolio.

 

 

Reason:              To ensure the Executive Member and residents are assured that H&S services are resilient and the council has proper arrangements in place for managing and responding to H&S risks.

Minutes:

The Executive Member considered a report giving an overview of the Health and Safety (H & S) governance arrangements, key risks and activity in operation during 2016/17. The report also provided a progress update on newly formed H & S shared service formed by North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) and City of York Council (CYC) operating under a collaboration agreement.

 

The Assistant Director for Customer & Digital Services was in attendance to give an overview of the report and explained that a minimum of two reports per year would be presented to the Executive Member to give reassurance about the H & S measures implemented by shared services. It was noted that the Health & Safety Shared Service Agreement could be found on the CYC website: https://www.york.gov.uk/downloads/file/13454/shared_service_agreement. It was further noted that the regional discussion on lessons learned from the incident at Grenfell Tower would be held on 12 July 2017 and that its outcomes would be reported to the Executive Member through the Decision Session. Following on the query from the Executive Member, it was added that no evidence of use of dangerous materials (such as aluminium composites) in CYC buildings was found as part of the recent investigation.

 

Following on the recent incident where a man died following falling from York’s city walls, the risk assessment for the walls was reviewed by the Council’s Health and Safety team and no evidence was found that the incident had been related to the condition of the walls. This was reported to the inquest held following the incident. The Shared Head of Health and Safety explained that, subject to consultation with Historic England, some preventative measures may be put into place; their nature would be reported in due course.

 

The Executive Member thanked the Officers for their work and it was

 

Resolved:           That the following be noted and agreed:

 

a)   the governance arrangements in place, in addition to the key H&S risks together with the council’s response to managing and responding to those risks;

b)   the progress made in establishing and commencing the H&S shared service;

c)   the focus of current and future work and that a follow-up report summarising any H&S activity following the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower be considered at a future Decision Session under this portfolio.

 

 

Reason:              To ensure the Executive Member and residents are assured that H&S services are resilient and the council has proper arrangements in place for managing and responding to H&S risks.

7.

York 5 Year Plan Flood Scheme Update pdf icon PDF 133 KB

This report gives an update in relation to the York 5 Year Flood Plan. The Executive Member for the Environment is asked to note the update report and the evidence presented by the Environment Agency in the session. Feedback is sought from the Executive Member on all content.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved:           That the update report and the evidence presented by the Environment Agency in the session be noted.

 

 

Reason:              The Executive Member is updated on the progress of the flood risk management works programmes in York and is able advise to ensure wider links and opportunities are considered and built into the process.

Minutes:

The report providing an update in relation to the York 5 Year Flood Plan was considered and feedback from the Executive Member was sought on all content. The Flood Risk & Asset Manager (CYC) as well as the Partnerships and Strategic Overview Manager (Environment Agency) were available for comments. It was noted that the work in Clementhorpe was being fast-tracked and that the pumping capacity at the Foss Barrier would be increased from 40 to 50 tonnes per second. In response to further questions from the Executive Member, it was:

·        confirmed that the ground investigations would take place in Summer 2017 and works were progressing as quickly as possible taking into account consultations and testing undertaken by the designers as well as factors out of control such as poor ground partition in certain locations;

·        clarified that project communication included quarterly newsletter, Facebook page and planned opening of the exhibition centre; further communication was planned after the consultation phase ended;

·        explained that the funding secured for the Foss Barrier work (Annex 1) was £17.0M but the approved funding was £19.4M. If more than £19.4M was needed, further approvals would have to be secured;

·        agreed that further updates on progress on the flood scheme would be given through the Decision Sessions and separate communication for each locality would be created;

·        suggested that the case for additional resources would be publicly made to Yorkshire Flood and Coastal Committee on behalf of York residents.

 

The Officers then gave an update in relation to the following localities:

 

Clifton Ings (Annex 1):

No major flooding risk was present. Two projects were currently ongoing:

·        Barrier Bank work: expected to start in 2019; the barrier might need to be raised 1m higher;

·        a pumping station at Blue Beck to give reassurance to community.

The residents would be informed about the development as soon as possible. It was also agreed that further updates would be provided to the Executive Member. It was then added that erosion was not currently causing any issues but it could in the future; potential solutions to this problem would be considered. It was also agreed that the flood management and catchment study report would be presented during the next Decision Session.

 

Hob Moor/York Central (Annex 1)

Further consultations with residents were organised. Holgate Beck review had been undertaken; there was no risk connected with electricity supplies. The need to balance the localised defences with pumping stations was highlighted.

 

Foss Barrier Progress (Annex 1)

The project was progressing well. The new building would be constructed before Christmas 2017.

 

It was also added that, for any queries from residents, the York Flood Plan (Environment Agency) could be contacted on yorkfloodplan@environment-agency.gov.uk.

 

It was suggested that a signposting system to the updated reviews on progress in each of the locations could be created.

 

The Chair was appreciative of the work undertaken and highlighted the support available to the Officers to prevent potential delays in implementation of the projects. It was then 

 

Resolved:           That the update report and the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page