Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and minutes

Venue: South Bank Social Club

Contact: Matthew Ward 

Items
No. Item

1.

Drop in surgery 7pm

The drop in surgery gives you the opportunity to talk with your councillors, street environment officer, safer neighbourhood police team, neighbourhood management officer and visiting speakers in an informal setting.

Also meet members of the Hamilton Panthers Football Team and see their plans for the new changing facilities.

Talk to developers and see the plans for the new council head quarters.

And Take part in the ward freecyle event.

Minutes:

Residents had the opportunity to talk with Cllr Dave Merrett, Cllr Sandy Fraser and Cllr Julie Gunnell, Matther Ward – Neighbourhood Management Officer, Michal Czekajlo – Neighbourhood Management Support Officer, Sgt Neil Wood, Insp Phil Cain, Insp Mark Henderson, Angus Young – Street Environment Officer, Simon Lansley – Hamilton Panthers Football Club Representative, Phil Sanderson – Hamilton Panthers Club Secretary, Andy Webster – Club President, Gary Limbert – CYC Football Facilities Project Manager, Philip Rickinson – director PRA Architects, Derek Gauld – Principal City Development Officer, Steve McManaman – Miller’s Construction Manager.

 

Free cotton shopping bags promoting local shopping, funded by Micklegate Ward Committee, were available for residents.

2.

Main Meeting 7:30pm

Minutes:

2.1 Councillor Sandy Fraser welcomed everyone to the meeting and gave some background to the purpose of the ward committee.

 

2.2 The minutes of the last meeting were agreed as an accurate record of the last meeting and signed.

 

2.3 An update was given on the alley between Scarcroft Hill and Mill Mount, after a long ongoing campaign it will be resurfaced.

3.

Safer Neighbourhood Police Team

Find out about the new working arrangements for the police team and the latest police work across the ward.

Minutes:

Insp. Mark Henderson gave an update on Safer Neighbourhood Police Team activity.

 

3.1            Inspector Phil Cain was introduced to residents. Inspector Cain will be looking after the residential area, outside of the city walls,  of Micklegate ward.

 

3.2       Police are facing financial restructure with £24,000,000 of savings to be made and 523 job posts cut in the next four years. Job reduction will be mainly civilian office staff, and losses will be made by not filling vacancies created by natural wastage.

 

3.3       Police boundaries will be changed and from 21st of March 2011 Micklegate will be split into inner and outer. Officers for Micklegate inner will be operating from Fulford Police Station and officers for Micklegate outer will be operating from Acomb Police Station.

 

3.4             PCSO’S for your area will stay the same. New shift pattern, covering seven days a week will ensure the right people will be in the right place at the right time.

 

3.5            Statistics for the ward show that there is a 15% drop of burglaries, 5% decrease of violence crime. Number of cycle and shop thefts have risen up before Christmas with the highest volume in September and went down in January 2011.

 

Residents were given the opportunity to raise questions, the following were asked.

 

Q         Who will be covering South Bank?

A            Officers operating from Acomb Police Station will cover a South Bank.

 

Q         Are you reopening Acomb Police Station?

A         Yes, Acomb has been open for some time, but not as a 24hr station like Fulford, volunteers are staffing the enquiry desk at Acomb Police Station.

 

Q         Will the crime figures be split for Micklegate after the restructure?

A         We will be able to produce combined as well as separated reports for Micklegate, which will be presented at the next ward committee meeting.

 

Q         What type of thefts are the most often?

A         Cycle theft and shed burglaries in particular. We have some successes with tackling it, but the figures are rising.

 

Q         Does the thieves take cycles to travel somewhere and leave them somewhere else, or they are being stolen to sell?

A            Unfortunately most of the stolen bikes are disappearing, and we can’t be sure where they are going.

 

Q         What types of cycles are stolen most often, cheap or expensive?

A         Any type of cycles, there is no distinction.

 

Q         What type of bike lock should I use?

A         The place where you leave your bike is as much important at the good quality lock. Thieves can break any type of lock, the only difference is that good quality lock will take them more time to open. Gold standard are the locks to buy to secure your bike.

            On 17 Feb 11 as part of Operation SPOKE, Security marking of cycles will be available at the cycle Hub Station, Wellington Row from 10:30am to 13:30pm. There are also meetings being held at Clementhorpe Hall, the details can be found on the NYP website.

 

Q         What about people who do  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Hamilton Panthers

Phil Sanderson and Simon Ramsley from the club and Gary Limbert, Football Facilities Project Officer will inform you of the proposals for the teams facilities on Little Knavesmire.

Minutes:

Gary Limbert – Football Facilities Project Officer, Phil Sanderson – Club Secretary and Simon Lansley – Club Representative gave an update on the Hamilton Panthers activity and the proposal for the facility development.

 

4.1             Club was formed in 1988 based on Little Knavesmire.

 

4.2       The club is entirely run by volunteers. The age groups start from 6 years old to adult providing continuity from junior to senior game.

 

4.3 There are 185 registered players at the moment with 3500 players who went through the club since formation.

 

4.4       Brief history of the club:

  • 1995 - moved into mothballed changing rooms in former ROC building at invitation of Council
1998 - current lease signed in presence of HRH The Duke Of York
2000 - two changing rooms added and former public toilet block incorporated
2002 - first FA Charter Standard Junior Club in York
2004 - upgraded to Development Club
2006/07 - North Riding County Football Association selected Panthers as Development Club of the Year
2008 – upgraded to Adult Club.

 

4.5       The clubhouse is a former Royal Observatory Corps building; it’s a not listed historic building in severe state of disrepair. Clubhouse and pitches need urgent attention.

 

4.6       The current clubhouse state has adverse affect on recruitment and retention of players and members. Young players do not want to use the building.

To maintain status as Junior and Senior Club, the facilities must be developed.

 

4.7      Action plan so far:

  • Oct 2010 - Hamilton Panthers committee set up club development working group to provide focus and impetus, and ensure all stakeholders are consulted;
Nov/Dec - two feasibility reports completed to look at pitch drainage, and the clubhouse;
Dec - working group meets with Micklegate Ward councillors to inform them of the proposal. Positive initial reaction;
Jan 2011 - clubhouse report (MWS Associates, architectural designers and building surveyors) concludes it would be far more cost-effective to replace the building than to restore it
Jan - Football Foundation provisionally commit substantial funding towards the project, on condition that other match funding can be secured.
Feb – PRA Architects, of York, produce initial proposals for what the clubhouse might look like.

 

4.8             The initial redevelopment proposals:

·        Similar scale - footprint and height;

·       

Four changing rooms; two referee rooms; function, plant and storage rooms. Access to pitches;

·       

Community facilities: café, toilets. External café servery;

·       

Foyer, reception. Panthers and other clubs to present themselves, notices etc;

·       

Secure areas eg. fencing, parking;

·       

Glass-fronted café to look across greenery;

·       

Cycles, soft-landscaping;

·       

Sustainable construction;

·       

Suitable building for ‘green-belt’ land;

·       

No harm to openness.

 

4.9       What happen next?

·        Feb 2011 - begin consulting local community and residents

·       

April - walk-in exhibition. Venue/date tbc;

·       

May - wider consultation to incorporate local media, businesses and potential funding partners;

·       

June - completion of business plan, including funding targets;

·       

Summer - preliminary drawings and building designs submitted to Council planning department;

·       

Autumn – commence fundraising and planning;

·       

Winter 2012/13 – construction phase;

·       

May 2013 - Hamilton Panthers Annual Gala grand opening.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

Development in the Ward

Derek Gauld, Principal City Development Officer will tell the meeting about the York, New City Beautiful report.

Minutes:

Derek Gauld – Principal City Development Officer and David Caulfield – Head of City Development gave an update on the New City Beautiful project.

 

5.1       City of York Council and Yorkshire Forward commissioned the production of a long-term, economic vision for the City of York in 2009. The York Economic Vision has been prepared by Professor Alan J. Simpson and a panel of urban, economic, cultural and movement advisers.

 

5.2       The New City Beautiful report makes a strong economic and cultural case for how the city could evolve over 30 years.

 

5.3       The key existing assets of York are: rivers, walls and gateways, streets, places and spaces and parks. We are looking at the ways of how to make them more attractive and accessible. Examples for redevelopment can be taken from other cities around the world. Those assets have huge impact on the economy of York.

 

5.4       York is a unique place, it’s pioneer in a lot of things and we want to take a step forward. Representatives of the authors and the council are holding an exhibition and public meeting to present the vision, and to ask for your views and feedback on the ideas within report on Monday 21st February 2011, 5.00pm – 7.30pm at York Theatre Royal.

 

5.5            Towards a Delivery Plan:

  • Identify all potential projects;
  • Short-term ‘early wins’ and longer term plans;
  • Temporary transformations;
  • Work already underway:

-         City Centre Movement and Accessibility Framework

-         Library Square

-         Parliament Street

-         Minster Piazza

-         Planning Statements – The Barbican, Stonebow house,  Piccadilly, Hungate, Terry’s, Nestle.

-         Footstreets extension

  • Detailed Delivery Plan by April 2011.

 

Residents were given opportunity to raise questions.

 

Q   This exciting report does give view of really good vision for York, but it requires strong political leadership.

 

Q   Is there a plan for a new bus station within that project?

 

Q   Are there any plans for tram trains for York?

A   We are aware of the transport issues in York and realise that proper alternatives for private cars are required, however the report does not go into specifics.

6.

New Council Head Quarters

Representatives of developers York Investors LLP and main contractor Miller Construction will inform on the proposals for the new council building.

 

Chris Hale from S Harrison for York Investors, architect Matt Parkins and Miller’s construction manager Steve McManaman will also be available to answer questions from local residents.

Minutes:

Steve Mcmanaman – Miller Senior Operations Manager gave an update on the development of West Offices.

 

6.1       York West Offices will be located within city walls where the former York Railway station was. The purpose of the project is to consolidate all City of York Council staff in one location for efficiency. The redevelopment will bring the former Railway Station building to public use.

 

6.2       Key dates:

  • Contract period: January 2011 – August 2012;
  • Site Working Hours 7.30am – 6.00pm Monday – Friday;
  • Certain Key Deliveries may be outside these times;
  • Access to site via Station Road;
  • Gateman;
  • Fully secured site – Tag Guard Security system;
  • Estimated Maximum Workforce – 110;
  • Road/Footpath closures may be required.

 

6.3       Local Community Involvement:

  • Higher York;
  • Build North Yorkshire;
  • Open Day 14 February;
  • York College;

-         Work Experience

-         Sponsorship of Awards

-         Using the project as a learning tool

-         Site visits

  • Archeological dig – open weekend;
  • NYBEP – School/College.

 

Residents were given opportunity to raise questions.

 

No questions were raised.

7.

Local Improvement Schemes 2011-12

The proposed schemes for next year will be discussed, this is the final chance to influence the decisions on how the budget is allocated.

Minutes:

The List of Local Improvement schemes for year 2011/2012 that is generally supported by Micklegate Councillors was published in the Feb 2011 edition of Your Ward.

This list is subject to the schemes being legal, feasible and within budget.

Ref:

MK-

Description

Cost:

£

Balance of votes

11-03

Investigate the unused spaces and develop them into community gardens and vegetable pots.

£300

103

11-04

A fund to plant flora and encourage fauna.

£300

89

11-18

York Youth Council towards provision of a city centre space for young people.

£750

83

11-22

Work with local traders to make Micklegate a street to be proud of.

£1,500

80

11-01

Provide kitchen waste and garden waste facilities for residents.

£2,000

79

11-02

Doorstep garden waste collections for residents who do not have green bin collections.

£1,750

71

11-16

Southlands Junior Club for years 3 to 6 and Dramadaries years 7 to 9.

£1,750

71

11-24

A youth pot for provision of activities in the ward.

£2,500

64

11-09

Signage to inform residents to clean up after their dogs on Little Knavesmire.

£500

63

11-13

Additional road closures to facilitate more street parties in the ward.

£200

63

11-26

Outdoor Learning Zone to provide beneficial work for young people who are struggling in the traditional learning environment of school.

£6,598

62

11-06

St Nicholas Fields to support the delivery of a new waste reduction campaign for residents.

£2,028

61

11-08

York Rotters to provide a training session on how to use compost to ‘grow your own’ in a small space.

£140

61

11-17

Active York to support our most promising young sports people and their families.

£300

61

11-07

Encouraging cycling, a fund to investigate potential cycle ways in the ward.

£750

60

11-29

Improve safety on Bishopthorpe Road. Install bollards to stop vehicles parking on the footpath.

£1,500

56

11-27

Grant to 10 Street Sport York sessions.

£2,000

53

11-10

Fund for notice boards in the ward to help promote current services and community events.

£1,600

51

11-23

Funding for improvements to the cycling  infrastructure.

£1,000

51

11-32

A Community Chest for issues and opportunities that come up in the year.

£5,000

44

11-25

Older Citizens Advocacy York to provide advocacy for older citizens within the ward.

£2,000

43

11-20

Young People’s Services to fund workers and resources for at least one 2-hour session per week. Identify the needs for young people in the ward and promote a service including street based learning and Urbie sessions.

£6,750

42

 

Residents were given opportunity to raise questions and concerns regarding proposed schemes for year 2011 – 2012.

 

Q            Scheme 11-01, what sort of waste facilities will that be? I don’t think that Bokashi types of bins are most suitable for households?

A         We will supply households with suitable composting bins and we will check the feasibility of the scheme before it will go ahead. 

 

 

 

8.

Have Your Say

Your chance to ask questions about local issues and concerns

Minutes:

Residents were given opportunity to raise questions.

 

Q         Graffiti issues in the back alleys on South Bank seem to be increasing.

A         We are reporting the graffiti issues to Angus Young – Street Environment Officer who will be looking at removing them. In Micklegate we currently have the lowest reports of graffiti for some time.

 

The following comments were raised.

 

  • Bishophill Action Group is looking for new members. Anyone who would like to be involved can find their details in February Your Ward newsletter.
  • Councillors thanked to residents for attending the meetings and support over the last four years. There is a number of initiatives and schemes that Councillors were involved in, such as:

-         Supporting Clements Hall;

-         Redevelopment of the Electric Substation to new cycle store

-         Close cooperation with Racecourse

-         Campaign for new flood defences in Clementhorpe

-         New cycle racks on Bishopthorpe Road

-         Alley gating schemes.

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page