Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and minutes

Venue: York High School

Items
No. Item

1.

6.30pm Surgery

You will have an opportunity to talk to:

  • Cllr Steve Galloway
  • Cllr Sue Galloway
  • Cllr Andrew Waller
  • Michelle Watling, Street Environment Officer
  • Your Safer Neighbourhood Team
  • A representative from Group Response Patrol Service
  • Andrew Laslett, Operations Manager, York High Pool

Minutes:

1.1       Residents had the opportunity to talk to Cllr Steve Galloway, Cllr Sue Galloway, Cllr Andrew Waller, the Safer Neighbourhoods Policing Team, Michelle Watling and Cindy Benton.

1.2       Residents also had the opportunity to find out more about youth services offered in the ward, the services offered by the Citizens Advice Bureau and more information about York’s new community swimming pool.

2.

7.00pm York High School Tour

You have the opportunity to tour the new school and look at the new facilities

Minutes:

2.1  Residents had the opportunity to have a tour around the high school to have a look at the new facilities. 

 

Following the tour, residents asked the headteacher David Ellis the following questions:

 

a) Do you have any plans to make the facilities available to community groups outside school hours?

Response was given that yes the school will be offering its facilities to community groups, particularly the performing arts facilities.  There may be a small cost involved. 

 

b)  With regards to the fingerprint identification system that is in use in the canteen; Is this data kept within the school?

Response was given that yes the data is only for use within the school and is destroyed once the pupil leaves.

3.

Welcome and Minutes

Minutes:

3.1    Cllr Steve Galloway welcomed residents to the formal part of the meeting.

3.2    The minutes of the last meeting were approved and signed.

4.

Swimming Pool Update

Andrew Laslett will give an update on the progress of the new swimming pool.

Minutes:

Andrew Laslett, Operations Manager gave an update on the progress of York’s new community swimming pool.  The following points were noted:

 

4.1    £6m has been invested to provide a new community swimming pool which with the current Oakland’s Sports Centre will provide York with a first class leisure centre. 

4.2    The leisure centre will include a 25m, 6 lane pool, a learner pool, a hydrotherapy pool, pool viewing, a changing village, a 60 station fitness suite, a crèche, café facilities, a climbing centre, a dance studio, a sports hall, a synthetic turf pitch, outdoor tennis courts and grass pitches. 

4.3    Oakland’s sports centre will be open during the building of the pool and Edmund Wilson swimming pool will remain open until building is completed. 

4.4    The current pool timetable at Edmund Wilson’s will be transferred to the new pool. 

4.5    The building will be heated using bio-mass boilers and solar panels on the roof will heat the pool water.

4.6    There will be over 240 parking spaces available at the centre.

 

Residents asked the following questions:

 

a)  Is the pool going to be the same size as the Edmund Wilson pool?

Response was given that it will be the same size is length and width but will not be as deep. 

 

b)  What will happen to the current Edmund Wilson site?

Response was given that the land is likely to be sold for development.

 

c)  Will there be disabled access to the changing rooms?

Response was given that there will be disabled changing rooms and the building been designed so that there is only a short distance between them and the pool. 

 

d) Will there be any provisions for parking bicycles?

Response was given that there will be 60 bays for parking bicycles which will be covered by CCTV.

 

e)  Will there be any sessions for people with disabilities?

Response was given that the ‘dolphin’ sessions will continue.  These are warm water sessions especially designed for people with disabilities and their carers.  Cllr Steve Galloway reported that the hydro-pool is particularly aimed at people with disabilities.  Housing and Adult Social Services will using it to run sessions and it will also be used privately by the NHS for therapy sessions.  

 

Application forms for free swimming sessions from 1st April 2009 for residents under 16 and over 60 years of age were available.

5.

Police Update

An update from your Safer Neighbourhoods Policing Team on ward issues and your chance to ask any questions.

Minutes:

Inspector Colin Moreton gave an update on Crime and Community Safety issues in the ward.  The following points were noted:

 

5.1          Uniformed policing is split into 24/7 response teams and geographically based Safer Neighbourhood Team’s (SNTs).  He is the Inspector for the SNTs in the south of York.

5.2          SNTs have been in place for around 2 years and work on long term problem solving. 

5.3          The SNTs consult with the public on what the police priorities for the ward should be.  The last consultation was done through ‘Your Ward’ and the outcome was that the priorities for the ward are Youth/anti-social behaviour, Damage/vandalism/graffiti and Burglary. 

5.4           Anti-social behaviour covers a range of things, including youths, dog fouling and flytipping.  A Capable Guardian Group has been set up in the ward to target different area’s of anti-social behaviour. 

5.5          The Cornlands Road area is currently a priority in terms of anti-social behaviour.  The SNT have been patrolling this area regularly both in uniform and plain clothes.  They are also working in partnership with Group Response community rangers.

5.6          Residents  have previously criticised about the delay in the SNT coming to see them when they report a problem on 0845 20 20 647.  The control room have a very difficult job with many conflicting priorities.  Trigger Plans have been implemented to highlight key problem hotspots in each ward; if the control room receive a call reporting a problem in one of the key areas it will be treated as an immediate priority.

5.7          The SNT shift patterns have changed as of this week.  The SNTs now have three rest days in a row rather than four and they will now be working until midnight rather than 10pm.  This means the team will be more visible more often. 

5.8          There has been a slight increase in damage and burglary in the ward compared to this time last year.  40% of burglaries are in insecure premises.  Operation Joypad is underway which involves the SNT testing the doors on residential property’s to see if they are locked.  If the doors are unlocked, the SNT will alert the residents that that their property is insecure.

5.9          The SNT are also actively promoting the ‘Immobilise’ system.  Immobilise is a free web based property registration site where residents can register every item of property which has a serial number.  If a stolen item of property is recovered and it is registered with Immobilise, any police officer in the country would be able to identify who it belonged to.  The SNT will register property for residents if they are given the details of the property and the serial numbers.  More information can be found on www.immobilise.com. 

5.10     The SNT are also trying to promote Neighbourhood Watch, there are some areas of the ward which are not covered.  If anyone is interested in being involved they should contact the SNT on 0845 60 60 247.

 

Residents asked the following questions:

 

a)  I phoned the SNT to report a  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

Proposed Ward Schemes 2009/10

Your Ward Councillors will present the provisional ward schemes list for the coming year.

Minutes:

6.1  No objections were raised to the provisional schemes list and this was formally approved.  

7.

Have Your Say

Your opportunity to discuss local issues and concerns with your local councillors.

Minutes:

a)  Double yellow lines should be put on Branham Avenue.  The number of parked cars on this road cause problems for the buses. 

Response was given that a consultation could be done to gauge the level of support for this.  

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page