Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Bishopthorpe Village Hall

Contact: Claire Taylor 

No. Item


6.30pm Surgery

Your chance to meet:


  • Cllr John Galvin
  • Cllr Christian Vassie
  • Suzanne Prance, Street Environment Officer
  • Claire Taylor, Neighbourhood Management Officer


Representatives from:


  • The Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team
  • Energy Saving Trust



  • Your free home energy check by the Energy Saving Trust
  • Free energy saving light bulbs


1.1  Residents had the opportunity to talk to Cllr John Galvin, Cllr Christian Vassie, Sgt Andy Haigh, PC Anna Daniels, PCSO Laura Smith, PCSO Colin Martin (Safer Neighbourhoods Team), Suzanne Prance (Street Environment Officer), Claire Taylor (Neighbourhood Management) and Rosie Hughes (Energy Savings Trust).


7.00pm Main Meeting - Introduction and Minutes

  • The minutes of the previous meeting will be agreed and signed.


2.1    Cllr John Galvin welcomed residents to the meeting.

2.2    The minutes of the last meeting were agreed with one amendment: to delete one of the questions under the Terry’s Update item which was not believed to be accurate.


Police Update

An update from your Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team on the recent police priorities ward consultation and your chance to raise any concerns.


PC Anna Daniels gave an overview of Crime and Community Safety issues in the ward.  The following points were noted:


3.1     The crimes in Bishopthorpe over recent months have included: a burglary at Bishopthorpe School in November for which one youth has been charged,  a number of incidents of Arson at Ferry Cottage on Ferry Lane, the most recent taking place at the beginning of January for which an arrest has been made; an arson on Acaster Lane and a burglary at the Marine Services for which an arrest has also been made. 

3.2     Wheldrake in general has been very quiet.  There has been some reports of drug taking in the village, the team are looking into this.  

3.3     If residents wish to report speeding in the ward they should fill in a 95 alive form.  They will get a receipt of their complaint within 48 hours.

3.4     Anti-social behaviour is still a problem in both areas of the ward.  The team are holding a residents’ meeting at Bishopthorpe Village Hall on 2nd March to discuss anti-social behaviour and how it can be tackled.  Residents were encouraged to attend or get in touch with the team if they have any problems. 

3.5     Cllr John Galvin stated that the police do a very good job in the ward but stressed that they cannot do everything alone, residents should get in touch with them if they know of an issue.


The following questions and comments were noted:


a)  What can you do about people who are cycling without lights?

Response was given that the team can fine people for this and run ‘Operation Image’ where they target certain areas if they know there is a problem.  The team work in schools to educate young people about this issue. 


b)  What can you do about people who are driving with lights out on their car?

Response was given that the team stop drivers if they see them.  The driver if given two weeks to get the lights repaired and are required to report to the station with proof from a garage that this has been done.  


Energy Saving Trust

A representative from the Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre will give a presentation on how you can be more energy efficient and grants that might be available. 


Rosie Hughes from the Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre gave a presentation on energy efficiency.  The following points were noted:


4.1       The role of the Energy Savings Trust Advice Centre is to reduce CO2  emissions by helping people to use energy more efficiently, look into renewable energy sources, choose greener ways to travel, reduce waste and conserve water.

4.2       Each household in the UK creates around 6 tonnes of CO2 a year, 60% of these coming from heating.    

4.3       A lot of a households heat is lost through the walls, windows and loft.  Loft insulation and cavity wall insulation can each save a household an average of £115 per annum.  A new boiler could save £300 per annum.  Heating can be controlled through the use of programmers and timers, room thermostats and thermostatic radiator valves.

4.4       There are many low cost measures which residents can take to reduce their CO2 emissions such as using energy saving light bulbs, draft proofing doors and windows, insulating hot water tank and pipes, using radiator panels and blocking unused radiators and extractor fans. 

4.5       Residents can cut down their CO2 through no cost at all throughways such as switching things off when not in use, turning heating down (the optimum temperature is 18-20 degrees), closing the curtains at dusk, boiling only the water needed and only using the washer for a full load. 

4.6       In terms of transport, CO2 emissions have risen steadily since 1970’s, with 26 million cars now on the UK roads.  The key message is to drive the vehicle efficiently, choose a fuel efficient vehicle and use the vehicle less.

4.7       The Energy Savings Trust can offer further advice to residents and community group’s about the best way to reduce carbon emissions and about grant which may be available.  The team can be contacted on 0800 512012.


The following questions and comments were noted:


a)  I am looking into getting Wheldrake Village Hall regulated and as a charity we should only be paying 5% VAT but I am being told we have to pay 17.5%.

Response was given that the Energy Savings Trust can advise on this and will contact the resident directly to discuss further.


b)  Many businesses in York waste energy by leaving their doors open during trading hours and their lights on overnight.  Can anything be done about this?

Response was given that this is a big problem.  A scheme has been started elsewhere in the country encouraging people to report offices and shops that leave lights on and this sort of scheme should be adopted in York.



Highways maintenance

Representatives from CYC Highways Maintenance team will give a brief presentation on their services.


Andy Binner gave an overview of the responsibilities of the highways maintenance team and their response to the recent spell of bad weather.  The following points were noted:


5.1      The Highways maintenance teams remit covers carriage resurfacing, footway reconstruction, street lighting, gully cleaning, pest control, flooding and warping, verge maintenance, highways trees, street signs, road lining and anti-skid surfacing  and winter maintenance.   

5.2      This year has seen the worst winter on record for 30 years with 20 days of snow and ice and temperatures falling as low as –10.

5.3      The gritting wagons went out 90 times on the primary network putting down a total of 4,200 tonnes of salt.  This is double the amount normally put down throughout the whole winter season.  The ‘priority’ area for gritting or ‘primary network’ includes all the main arteries in and out of the city, all major bus routes and 15km of footpaths which includes all city centre footpaths and those around shopping centres and old peoples homes.  Gritting is carried out on a  ‘secondary network’  if conditions require it but this is dependent on budget and resources.  To date the winter maintenance budget for this financial year is overspent by £400,000.  An overview of the winter maintenance policy is available on the City of York Council’s website.

5.4      It was stressed that unfortunately the council do not have the resources to grit every road and footpath in the city.  Requests from residents are looked at on a case by case basis.

5.5      The winter maintenance policy is being reviewed and residents’ comments are welcomed.  The recent bad weather had highlighted a number of key issues to be addressed in the review; lack of salt bins, lack of clearing of footpaths, secondary routes and cycle paths and the repair of pot holes. 

5.6      Following the bad weather pot holes are appearing all over the roads.  The biggest potholes and those on high speed roads are being prioritised with the rest being done as soon as possible.  Residents are encouraged to report potholes on (01904) 551551.

5.7      Richard and Andrew registered their thanks to the gritting staff who worked tirelessly for 20 days to keep the city moving. 


The following comments and questions were noted:


a)  Is the grit you put down on the road a mixture of salt and sand?

Response was given that yes a mixture is used on recommendation from the government.  A 3:1 salt/sand mix is used on high speed roads and a 1:1 mix on 30mph roads.


b)  The communication from the council regarding the levels of salt in stock was not very good.

Response was given that residents were kept up to date through channels such as The Press and local radio stations.  Cllr John Galvin added that The Press did an excellent job of reporting. 


c)  Would it be possible to stock pile salt throughout the year to avoid running short in the future?

Response was given that this will be looked at under the review. 


d)  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.


Local Improvement Schemes

Your ward councillors will present the provisional local improvement schemes list for the coming financial year.


6.1           No comments were raised about the proposed local improvement schemes list for 2010/11.

6.2           The schemes were formally approved. 


Have Your Say

Your opportunity to ask questions about local issues and concerns.


The following questions and comments were noted:


a)  When will the street light on Ferry Lane be installed?

Response was given that a lantern is being fixed onto an existing column.  This has been ordered and should be installed in the next few weeks.


b)  The speed bumps on Church Lane in Bishopthorpe are in very bad condition and need repairing.

Response was given that the team will look into this.  Action


c)  There are some trees on Sim Balk Lane which are overgrown and desperately need cutting back. 

Response was given that the team will look into this.  Action


d)  There is a problem with cars parking on Lang Road at the junction with Sim Balk Lane, causing an obstruction and blocking visibility. The double yellow lines need extending along to the first lamppost.

Response was given that the team will look into this.  Action


Back to the top of the page