Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Askham Richard Village Hall, Main Street, Askham Richard, YO23 3PT

Contact: Catherine Clarke and Louise Cook  Democracy Officers

Items
No. Item

1.

Drop In Surgery

Minutes:

Prior to the formal meeting, members of the public had the opportunity to speak to the Ward Councillors, Councillors Gillies, Healey and Steward, as well as Kate Bowers (Head of Neighbourhood Management), Julie Hood, (Neighbourhood Management Officer), Rachel Stewart (Street Environment Officer) and PCSO 5642 Nigel Colley from North Yorkshire Police.

 

2.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 64 KB

To approve and sign the minutes of the meetings of the Committee held on 8 February 2012 and 16 February 2012.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

RESOLVED:       That the minutes of the meetings of the Rural West Ward Committee held on 8 February and 16 February 2012 be approved and signed as  correct records.

3.

Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team

A representative from the Policing Team will talk about and answer questions on their work in the ward.

Minutes:

PCSO 5642 Nigel Colley attended the meeting to provide an update on the work of the Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team and answer any questions from those attending the meeting.

 

He explained that they had recently undergone a reorganisation with the York Safer Neighbourhood Command being divided into 3 areas, namely York City & East, York North and York West. He explained that Rural West York Ward fell within York West area lead by Inspector 981 Neil Drummond and PS 1901 Ed Noble (SNT Sergeant). Within York West area, he, together with PCSO 5645 Laura Smith, and managed by Beat Manager PC 1666 Sarah-Jayne Elliot were responsible for Copmanthorpe, Askham Bryan, Askham Richard and Upper and Nether Poppleton, and based at the Acomb office. He reported a drop in crime of just over 15% from the previous year in York West and responded to particular queries which were raised.

 

RESOLVED:       That the update on the work of the Safer Neighbourhood Policing Team  be noted.

 

REASON:            In order that Ward Members, parish councils and residents are kept informed regarding police work in the ward.

 

 

 

 

4.

Neighbourhood Working and Community Contracts

Minutes:

Kate Bowers, Head of Neighbourhood Management, attended the meeting to address residents and introduce Neighbourhood Working and Community Contracts and ask Ward Members to adopt the priorities under the Community Contract for 2012/13.

 

She advised  that the new model of Neighbourhood Working would allow the Council to work with partners to deliver better services for York’s communities. She explained that this new approach to service delivery had been piloted in 6 wards including Rural West Ward.

 

She explained that the Ward Profile, containing ward level data complimented by local intelligence, would enable to members to make informed choices in relation to the priorities for each ward. Ward audits would tell the ward member what facilities exist within the ward, what activities are being delivered and by whom, and about schedules of work to enable them to identify any gaps in provision. This will also give residents easy access to what is available to them. Members would set priorities for the ward using the profile data, local intelligence and resident ambitions.  An action plan would then be drawn up which would enable residents to hold the Council to account and would allow wards to apply for external funding as it becomes available.

 

She explained that the Community Contract was an agreement between the ward committee, the community, council departments and service providers. It would provide general information on the ward and list community groups, parish councils and community facilities within the ward. It would also highlight specific challenges in the Ward and the ward priorities that have been identified. It will set out what service standards residents should receive as well as provide information on how communities can engage and be involved including a list of volunteering opportunities in the ward. Copies of the draft community contract were circulated around the room for information.

 

Concern was raised that parish councils had not been involved in the preparation of this contract. The Head of Neighbourhood Management advised that parish councils had been contacted and had been asked for information relating to their parish a year previously but stressed that if parish councillors/residents felt that anything had been omitted from the draft contract she was happy to work with them to ensure the contract was correct.

 

Concerns were raised that the money in the central pot would be lost to other wards especially to areas of higher deprivation and Rural West Ward may not benefit fully from it. The Head of Neighbourhood Management acknowledged that parish councils could not access the money from the central pot but advised that they were currently investigating ways in which parish councils could access funding. She explained that the central pot simplified the process of applying for grants for organisations who in the past had to apply individually on behalf of individual wards.

 

Ward Members agreed that they were happy to support the principle of a Community Contract for Rural West York Ward but that it was unacceptable in its present form and that further submissions, particularly  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

Have Your Say

At this point in the meeting you can raise any issues or concerns you may have in respect of the ward.

Minutes:

Residents were given the opportunity to raise any issues or concerns they may have in respect of the ward. 

 

Residents expressed concern regarding the removal of litter bins in the ward. The Street Environment Officer advised that following a review of the use of all the litter bins across the city as part of the budget savings exercise, ten bins had been removed in Rural West York. She advised that the areas where bins had been removed would be monitored to determine if there was an increase in detritus and in exceptional circumstances the council would consider reinstating the bin if this was proved to be the case. She asked parish councils to get in contact with her if they were concerned regarding an increase in littering. Cllr Healey requested a copy of the relevant criteria for reinstating bins. TheStreet Environment Officer confirmed that no dog waste bins had been removed in Rural West Ward and that at the present time no salt bins were being removed.

 

Concern was raised that some of the lampposts which had been reinstated had been put back in unsuitable places, some were too high and some not working at all. Residents were advised to email Ricky Watson, Street Lighting Engineer at ricky.watson@york.gov.uk, with the locations of street lights which they were concerned about.

 

It was noted that some side roads and cul-de-sacs were not being swept and some gullies not being cleaned. Midway Avenue in Poppleton was cited as an example of this.

 

RESOLVED:       That the issues raised be noted.

 

REASON:            In order that residents concerns are addressed.

 

 

 

6.

Ward Committee Funded Schemes

To formally agree the schemes to be funded through the Ward Committee for 2012/13 (to view the schemes for the ward go to www.york.gov.uk/wards/)

Minutes:

Ward Members were asked to agree the schemes to be funded through the Ward Committee for 2012/13, details of which had been circulated to residents at the meeting.

 

It had been explained that the funding had been split into 3 pots as follows:

 

·        Ward Budgets: Each ward had an allocation to use as grant funding to commission local voluntary and community organisations to meet identified needs (Rural West Ward Committee has £4,260 for 2012-13)

 

·        Other Voluntary Sector Support:  Funding to support those voluntary sector organisations that provide services to more than one ward and that are currently forced to apply for a plethora of individual ward committee grants.  It was not intended that this fund would be open to Council services such as Street Sport; however, it was proposed that in the first year only, whilst the Ward Credits pot was being established, Council services were allowed to bid.

 

·        Your Consortium had won the tender to administer the schemes according to the Council’s criteria and priorities and would provide support to the recipient organisations including accessing additional funding / revenue sources, helping them to become more sustainable.

 

·        Ward Credits:  A “credits pot” to be allocated to identified wards to be used to commission new services, either from within the Council or from other partners / sectors, to deliver on the Ward priorities. 

 

Members confirmed that with such a reduced fund, many schemes had had to be ruled out and having considered all the eligible schemes, they had decided to choose five schemes which  supported young or older people. They confirmed that these were:

 

·        Poppleton Luncheon Club, grant of £400 to contribute towards the cost of delivering the service.

·        Rufforth Methodist Church, £500 grant towards continuing the provision of the outreach Post Office

·        Poppleton Youth Action Group, grant of £2,560 contribution towards the provision of a youth club in Poppleton

·        RufforthKidzone, grant of £400 towards the provision of after school activities

·        Copmanthorpe Early Years Partnership, grant of £400 towards an event to develop communications skills in parents and their preschool children.

 

RESOLVED:                That Ward Members agree the allocation of ward funding as detailed above.

         

REASON:                     To enable ward grant funding to be allocated to local ward schemes for 2012-13.

 

 

7.

Your Ward Forum

To help identify issues to be the focus for the next informal meeting.

Minutes:

The Ward Members introduced the ‘Your Ward Forum’ and asked residents for details of suggested issues they would like discussed at future informal meetings.

 

It was noted that the informal meetings would coincide with the publication of the Your Ward newsletter which would act as a means of publicising the meeting.

 

The Neighbourhood Management Officer explained that her department would organise and facilitate these informal meetings which were intended to be different to the annual formal meeting, and perhaps incorporate workshop and the meeting formats.

 

No issues were suggested for future meetings but Members advised residents to contact  the Neighbourhood Management Unit if they had any issues they would like discussed at a future meeting.

 

RESOLVED:       That it be noted that no issues were put forward for the next informal meeting.

 

 

REASON:           To ensure that issues relevant to the ward raised by members and residents at meetings are given due consideration.

 

 

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page