Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Osbaldwick Sports CLub, The Leyes, YO10 3PR

Contact: Michal Czekajlo  Community Involvement Officer

Note: Formal Ward Committee meeting 

Items
No. Item

7.

Drop in from 7:00pm

·        Talk to your ward councillors

·        The Police

·        Look at the plans for the former Burnholme Community College site development

8.

Main meeting from 7:30pm

Minutes:

Councillor Mark Warters welcomed everyone to the meeting and apologies were received from Councillor Jenny Brooks.

 

9.

Safer Neighbourhood Team

Talk about priorities and plans for the coming months and Q & A session with Inspector Lee Pointon.

Minutes:

Inspector Lee Pointon introduced himself and two members of his team: Sergeant Colin Sutherland and PCSO Katie Dale.  Inspector Pointon outlined details of the local policing team before updating the meeting with information about priorities and plans for the forthcoming months.

 

Inspector Pointon explained the aims and successes of Operation Liberate in tackling anti-social behaviour (“ASB”), outlining how the initiative involves working in partnership with various bodies including the NHS, York City FC Foundation and the Youth Offending Team, amongst others. A high visibility police presence visits areas of known ASB where individuals are engaged with at various levels, including identifying vulnerable young people and taking them to a place of safety. Partnership organisations can then follow up with positive action to help break the cycle of ASB.  The Operation proved to be a success last year and is to be repeated again this summer.

 

In addition, Operation Joypad will also run over the summer months to raise awareness of how burglars operate and provide security advice, thus reducing resident vulnerability to this type of crime.

 

In response to a query, Inspector Pointon explained that if residents wish to report a non-emergency, they should use the 101 phone number and report the issue to the control room rather than asking for a specific officer. Alternatively they could send an email to the generic address snayorknorth@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk .These messaging systems are usually checked twice daily and actioned appropriately.

 

Unfortunately, messages left with a named officer cannot be guaranteed to be picked up in that officer’s absence.

 

It was recognised that the 101 system is not without its limitations.

 

Residents were encouraged to report incidents of ASB on the basis that if the police don’t know about it, they can’t do anything.  Inspector Pointon further explained that residents may not always be aware of a police presence as officers may be in plain clothes or in an unmarked vehicle.

 

In an emergency situation, residents should call 999.

 

In response to concerns that the ward had lost the continuity provided by a dedicated PCSO, Inspector Pointon explained that the area was now covered by a team of PCSOs, meaning that the police could provide continuous cover whereas previously none was available during an officer’s rest period.

 

Inspector Pointon welcomed the idea of having access to the Osbaldwick Sports Club to use as a ‘refreshment stop’ for officers.  He will investigate the idea further, including the potential for extending it to create community engagement events.  Murton Church would also be similarly available.  Cllr Warters commented that Dunnington Parish Council may wish to make similar provision and suggested that Inspector Pointon may wish to explore this initiative in other areas of the city.

 

ACTION:  Michal Czekajlo to provide a list of parish council emails to Inspector Pointon.

 

In response to a query regarding the timeliness of police communications, Inspector Pointon outlined details of the new Community Messaging service. Parish clerks will receive an email on the first Monday of each month detailing anything relevant from  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Burnholme School Site Redevelopment

Minutes:

Cllr Warters introduced Roy Wallington who gave an overview of the redevelopment proposals for the Burnholme site.  These include:

·        a residential and nursing care home for older residents,

·        GP and community based health facilities,

·        a reprovisioning of Tang Hall library, and

·        a range of housing for all ages.

 

It is planned to retain the current on-site sporting facilities.

 

Mr Wallington explained that the process of finding a development partner would start in the near future.  More information about the development is available on the council website and there will be further opportunities for consultation and public engagement in the future.

 

In response to a query regarding timescales, Mr Wallington explained that the development would be completed in sections, with much of the infrastructure going in at an early stage in the process.  It is possible that some parts of the development could be ready by the end of 2018.  Residents would continue to be consulted. 

 

Cllr Warters thanked Mr Wallington for his presentation.

 

11.

Update on ward schemes and presentations from groups awarded with funding in 2015-16 pdf icon PDF 6 MB

Presentations from Murton Parish Council, Osbaldwick Sports Club, Friends of Dunnington Activity Park, Friends of Weir Pond, Dunnington Conservation Group.

Minutes:

Informative presentations were kindly given by a number of local groups in receipt of ward funding, outlining how the grants had been spent and the benefits to the ward.

 

These included:

 

·        Murton Parish Council – the renovation of the village pond, the flooding of which had been affecting local properties.

 

·        Osbaldwick Sports Club – a new sign for the club to help advertise both the club itself and the wide range of community events it hosts.

 

·        Friends of Dunnington Activity Park – the essential maintenance of part of the equipment in the children’s recreation area. 

 

ACTION: Mr Maggs agreed to provide Michal Czekajlo with a ‘before’ and ‘after’ photograph for information.

 

·        Dunnington Conservation Group – the purchase of a noticeboard for the Hassacarr Nature Reserve to provide visible information for visitors and residents about the reserve itself, the various species of flora and fauna found there, in addition to details of various forthcoming events.

 

Cllr Warters thanked the representatives from each group for their interesting and informative presentations.

 

ACTION: Michal Czekajlo to furnish Murton Parish Council with details of the noticeboard company used by Dunnington Conservation Group.

 

Other ward funded projects include:

 

 

·        Friends of Weir Pond – tree planting activities

·        Osbaldwick Parish Council - publicly accessible defibrillator (by the shops)

·        Kexby – solar powered bus stop light

·        Dunnington snow wardens – two hand push gritters

·        Osbaldwick Cricket Club – outdoor net facilities

·        Dunnington in Bloom – new lawn mower and water bowser

·        Improvements to Moorlands Close and the Manor Drive/York Road junction

·        Replacement of street signs on Moor Lane and Murton Way

·        Bench replacement

·        Noticeboard for Meam Close

·        Grounds maintenance to keep the current levels of service in the ward.

 

It is also planned to make improvements to St Thomas Close in Osbaldwick.

 

 

12.

Ward budget

Minutes:

·        Ward budget allocation (2016/17): £19,082

·        Unallocated (including funds carried forward from

year 2015-16): £18,979

·        Ward Highways budget for 2015/16 and 2016/17: £18,180 Available: approx £6730

 

Applications for ward grants, particularly those in line with the ward priorities of a cleaner environment, safer communities and greater community and youth opportunities, are welcomed.

 

13.

Have Your Say

Minutes:

No issues were raised under this agenda item.

 

Cllr Warters thanked residents for their attendance and contributions.

The next Ward Committee Meeting will be held in September/October 2016.

 

 

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page