Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and minutes

Venue: St Oswald's Primary School

Contact: Cindy Benton 

Items
No. Item

1.

Drop-in Surgery

Cllr Keith Aspden

Cllr David Levene

Sgt Donna Musgrove

PC Andy Thompson

PCSO Jon-Mark Buchanan

Sally Cawthorn, Senior Major Developments Projects and Initiatives Officer, CYC

Robin McGinn, Persimmon Homes

Rachel Stewart, Street Environment Officer, CYC

Kate Bowers, Head of Neighbourhood Management, CYC

Ted Schofield, Neighbourhood Support Officer, CYC

 

The above attended the Surgery to talk about issues in the ward.

 

Cllr Keith Aspden, as chair, welcomed residents to the Ward Committee meeting and ran through the arrangements. He thanked Fulford Parish Council for distributing a newsletter informing residents of the meeting, which reflected in the good attendance.

 

Minutes:

Cllr Keith Aspden

Cllr David Levene

Sgt Donna Musgrove

PC Andy Thompson

PCSO Jon-Mark Buchanan

Sally Cawthorn, Senior Major Developments Projects and Initiatives Officer, CYC

Robin McGinn, Persimmon Homes

Rachel Stewart, Street Environment Officer, CYC

Kate Bowers, Head of Neighbourhood Management, CYC

Ted Schofield, Neighbourhood Support Officer, CYC

 

The above attended the Surgery to talk about issues in the ward.

 

 

Cllr Keith Aspden, as chair, welcomed residents to the Ward Committee meeting and ran through the arrangements. He thanked Fulford Parish Council for distributing a newsletter informing residents of the meeting, which was reflected in the good attendance.

 

2.

Safer Neighbourhood Team Update

PCSO Jon-Mark Buchanan spoke about police issues in Heslington. 

 

Crime has fallen in the last year in Heslington; Between 2011 and 2012  victims of crime reduced from 178 to 107. (This figure includes the university).  Significant effort  is  made to educate students concerning cycle  theft and action is taken to ensure the use of cycle lights, fixed penalty fines of £30 are issued to any person cycling without lights.

 

The following questions were asked:

 

Has the graffiti problem been resolved?

·        The response was given that particular graffiti aimed at an individual had been dealt with.

 

Could a sign be put up at the zebra crossing by the golf club, to warn students not to ride across the crossing, as this is extremely dangerous?

·         Yes this would be possible.

Could lighting be improved at this crossing, for safety reasons?

·        This request would need to be referred to the council and to the university.  Cllr David Levene said he would look into this issue.

 

Could barriers be used to prevent this happening?

·         Although this was possible, these barriers tend to restrict access for wheelchair users.

 

Sgt Donna Musgrove spoke about police issues in Fulford.  The following points were made; crime increased this year by only 7 incidents;  assault against a person has increased , however these incidents related mainly to domestic violence rather than incidents on the street. , burglary has decreased.  Events have been held to raise public awareness of crime.

 

The following questions were asked:

 

What can be done about cars speeding on Love Lane? 

·        The police should be informed by ringing 101 immediately and they will investigate.  Cllr Keith Aspden added that a Traffic Monitoring Form could be used to note incidents, and the council did respond to information received with installing anti-speeding measures when appropriate.

 

Minutes:

PCSO Jon-Mark Buchanan spoke about police issues in Heslington. 

 

Crime has fallen in the last year in Heslington; Between 2011 and 2012  victims of crime reduced from 178 to 107. (This figure includes the university).  Significant effort  is  made to educate students concerning cycle  theft and action is taken to ensure the use of cycle lights, fixed penalty fines of £30 are issued to any person cycling without lights.

 

The following questions were asked:

 

Has the graffiti problem been resolved?

·        The response was given that particular graffiti aimed at an individual had been dealt with.

 

Could a sign be put up at the zebra crossing by the golf club, to warn students not to ride across the crossing, as this is extremely dangerous?

·         Yes this would be possible.

Could lighting be improved at this crossing, for safety reasons?

·        This request would need to be referred to the council and to the university.  Cllr David Levene said he would look into this issue.

 

Could barriers be used to prevent this happening?

·         Although this was possible, these barriers tend to restrict access for wheelchair users.

 

Sgt Donna Musgrove spoke about police issues in Fulford.  The following points were made; crime increased this year by only 7 incidents;  assault against a person has increased , however these incidents related mainly to domestic violence rather than incidents on the street. , burglary has decreased.  Events have been held to raise public awareness of crime.

 

The following questions were asked:

 

What can be done about cars speeding on Love Lane? 

·        The police should be informed by ringing 101 immediately and they will investigate.  Cllr Keith Aspden added that a Traffic Monitoring Form could be used to note incidents, and the council did respond to information received with installing anti-speeding measures when appropriate.

 

3.

Germany Beck Proposed Development Update

Cllr Keith Aspden noted that there were many residents that wanted to ask questions, and that he would ensure that everybody got to ask the developers and the Council what they wanted in a timely manner.

 

Robin McGinn from Persimmon Homes showed a powerpoint presentation about Germany Beck and answered questions.  Sally Cawthorn also answered questions.

 

The following questions were asked:

 

Is there any point in complaining?

·        Sally Cawthorn responded that the council wanted to hear people’s views and they would be taken into account.

 

What is happening about the access road via Main Street?

·        Robin McGinn responded that the access route formed part of the outline application in 2007 and this could not be changed.

 

How is air quality to be maintained?

·        Sally Cawthorn responded that the council has responsibility for air quality; this does not currently form part of the reserved matters planning application.

 

Is a time extension likely, as the Fulford Parish Council will object in detail to this application?

·        Sally Cawthorn responded that she did not know if there was any leeway on the deadline of 5 March 2012 and suggested that any individuals seeking an extension should contact the  Development Management Team.

 

Can the number of houses in the application be changed?

·        Robin McGinn responded that the number agreed in the outline planning permission was  was “approximately 700 ”. 

 

Why has there not been more consultation on this development?

·        Robin McGinn responded that flyers had been distributed, posters put up and public meetings advertised in the press. The Parish Council had been informed, and consultation documents were available in the local library and at a local hotel.

 

·        Sally Cawthorn also  responded that CYC have followed its statutory duty in terms of consultation.

 

Will there be a consultation with residents of Low Moor Lane?

·        Robin McGinn responded that a Community Forum had been established and that this was  a mechanism to deal with resident comments and questions.

 

How will the schools cope with extra pupils?

·        Cllr Keith Aspden responded that the education community was looking at what plans needed to be put into place for local schools, but that much work still needed to be done. Although St. Oswald’s Primary had footings for an extension from when it was built, Fulford School was now starting to look at the plans, including any provision for a Community Sports Hall.

·        Sally Cawthorn also  informed the meeting that an education contribution as part of the legal agreement was required from the developer

 

What about flooding?  Where will flood water be sent?

·        Robin McGinn responded that flood attenuation works were planned, and that the three ponds within the Nature Park would absorb  the water.

 

Is the A19 going to be raised?

·        Robin McGinn responded that this was so, and Persimmon Homes would make a contribution towards this cost.

 

Will Persimmon Homes provide assurance that insurance premiums for existing householders would not rise due to the increased risk of flooding, as they have a moral duty to do?

·        Robin McGinn responded  ...  view the full agenda text for item 3.

Minutes:

Cllr Keith Aspden noted that there were many residents that wanted to ask questions, and that he would ensure that everybody got to ask the developers and the Council what they wanted in a timely manner.

 

Robin McGinn from Persimmon Homes showed a powerpoint presentation about Germany Beck and answered questions.  Sally Cawthorn also answered questions.

 

The following questions were asked:

 

Is there any point in complaining?

·        Sally Cawthorn responded that the council wanted to hear people’s views and they would be taken into account.

 

What is happening about the access road via Main Street?

·        Robin McGinn responded that the access route formed part of the outline application in 2007 and this could not be changed.

 

How is air quality to be maintained?

·        Sally Cawthorn responded that the council has responsibility for air quality; this does not currently form part of the reserved matters planning application.

 

Is a time extension likely, as the Fulford Parish Council will object in detail to this application?

Sally Cawthorn responded that she did not know if there was any leeway on the deadline of 5 March 2012 and suggested that any individuals seeking an extension should contact the  Development Management Team.

 

Can the number of houses in the application be changed?

·        Robin McGinn responded that the number agreed in the outline planning permission was  was “approximately 700, ”. 

 

Why has there not been more consultation on this development?

·        Robin McGinn responded that flyers had been distributed, posters put up and public meetings advertised in the press. The Parish Council had been informed, and consultation documents were available in the local library and at a local hotel.

 

·        Sally Cawthorn also  responded that CYC have followed its statutory duty in terms of consultation.

 

Will there be a consultation with residents of Low Moor Lane?

·        Robin McGinn responded that a Community Forum had been established and that this was  a mechanism to deal with resident comments and questions.

 

How will the schools cope with extra pupils?

·        Cllr Keith Aspden responded that the education community was looking at what plans needed to be put into place for local schools, but that much work still needed to be done. Although St. Oswald’s Primary had footings for an extension from when it was built, Fulford School was now starting to look at the plans, including any provision for a Community Sports Hall.

·        Sally Cawthorn also  informed the meeting that an education contribution as part of the legal agreement was required from the developer

 

What about flooding?  Where will flood water be sent?

·        Robin McGinn responded that flood attenuation works were planned, and that the three ponds within the  Nature Park would absorb  the water.

 

Is the A19 going to be raised?

·        Robin McGinn responded that this was so, and Persimmon Homes would make a contribution towards this cost.

 

Will Persimmon Homes provide assurance that insurance premiums for existing householders would not rise due to the increased risk of flooding, as they have a moral duty to do?

·        Robin McGinn responded  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

University Road development update

Cllr David Levene announced that there would not be a presentation concerning the University Road development.

 

One question was raised, which concerned the Village Design Statement.  This makes clear that the planned route of a cycle track across the middle of Church Fields is not acceptable, and that there were alternative routes. 

Cllr David Levene responded that this would be taken into account but there was nothing more to be done at present.

 

Minutes:

Cllr David Levene announced that there would not be a presentation concerning the University Road development.

 

One question was raised, which concerned the Village Design Statement.  This makes clear that the planned route of a cycle track across the middle of Church Fields is not acceptable, and that there were alternative routes. 

Cllr David Levene responded that this would be taken into account but there was nothing more to be done at present.

5.

Street Environment Team Update

Rachel Stewart introduced herself as the new Street Environment Officer for Heslington and Fulford. 

 

The following questions were asked:

 

Thank you for prompt action over Mast Fields.  However, I have picked up waste material on the site which is fifty to sixty years old.

 

·        The response was given that Rachel would talk to the Contaminated Land officer to see if they needed to look at the site again.

 

What do you do about fly-tipping?

·        The response was given that Street Environment would respond if notified by a call to 551551.

 

Are the advertising boards on roundabouts legal? Can we request not to have them?

·        The response was given that if they include “sponsored by” and a name, they are legal, and have been paid for.  Otherwise they are not.  The income from the sponsorship provides funds for the upkeep of the roundabouts.

 

What about the poor lighting in Delwood?

·        Cllr Keith Aspden responded that this was not just a problem in Delwood, but across Fulford and the city, as following a safety survey City of York Council had authorised a large number of street lights to be cut down without a replacement plan. He reported that although funding should now be found in the financial year, it was important for residents to put forward the locations in Fulford to be replaced.

 

Can horses on the roadside (belonging to travellers) be moved?

·        The response was given that Street Environment do not have powers to move animals but they do work with the Animal Health team in these matters.

 

Minutes:

Rachel Stewart introduced herself as the new Street Environment Officer for Heslington and Fulford. 

 

The following questions were asked:

 

Thank you for prompt action over Mast Fields.  However, I have picked up waste material on the site which is fifty to sixty years old.

 

·        The response was given that Rachel would talk to the Contaminated Land officer to see if they needed to look at the site again.

 

What do you do about fly-tipping?

·        The response was given that Street Environment would respond if notified by a call to 551551.

 

Are the advertising boards on roundabouts legal? Can we request not to have them?

·        The response was given that if they include “sponsored by” and a name, they are legal, and have been paid for.  Otherwise they are not.  The income from the sponsorship provides funds for the upkeep of the roundabouts.

 

What about the poor lighting in Delwood?

·        Cllr Keith Aspden responded that this was not just a problem in Delwood, but across Fulford and the city, as following a safety survey City of York Council had authorised a large number of street lights to be cut down without a replacement plan. He reported that although funding should now be found in the financial year, it was important for residents to put forward the locations in Fulford to be replaced.

 

Can horses on the roadside (belonging to travellers) be moved?

·        The response was given that Street Environment do not have powers to move animals but they do work with the Animal Health team in these matters.

 

6.

Neighbourhood Management Unit - restructure update

Kate Bowers, Head of Neighbourhood Management, spoke about recent developments in Neighbourhood Management.

 

The following points were made;

 

Over the last 14 months a pilot has been carried out in the west of the city.  As part of this, Ward Profiles have been created, refreshing the ambitions of the wards annually.  The central approach is to work through ward teams, with residents and other partner organisations to deliver better services.  For instance the Neighbourhood Management Unit has worked with Future Prospects, the Citizens’ Advice Bureau and Benefits Advice.  One of these initiatives has been for the Citizens’ Advice Bureau to provide outreach sessions in communities. 

 

Cllr Keith Aspden gave a summary of the proposed changes, with a reduction in the number of YourWard newsletters, a significant cut to Ward Committee grants and the centralisation of community and voluntary sector grants. Cllr Aspden reported that he was very concerned about the changes and the impact on local residents opportunities to be involved in local decision making. He estimated this would reduce the grant to Fulford Ward to £1,300 next year.

 

Kate Bowers pointed out that a central pot of money (the community and voluntary sector fund) would be open to all wards for bids.

 

The following questions were asked:

 

Why has Participatory Budgetting been removed?

·        Kate Bowers responded that resident participation in service delivery would continue and would be delivered in a new way to supplement the existing PB process.

 

Why have we not been consulted on the changes in Neighbourhood Management?

 

·        Kate Bowers responded that the public would be consulted when there were firm proposals on which to consult.

 

Residents reported that they disagreed with this approach, and felt that the current Ward Committee system – including their votes for schemes last year – had been working well.

 

 

What is the current staffing level of the Neighbourhood Management Unit?

·        Kate Bowers responded that it was currently 14, and that full consultation with staff was required before a structure was proposed.

 

How will Ward Committees be advertised in future, as we no longer receive the Your Ward leaflet?

·        Kate Bowers responded that notification had been sent out with Your Voice, and that Your Ward was available online.  She went on to say that a full review of the process for producing and delivering Your Ward was underway and that notification of future meetings would be delivered to households across the city.

 

What  do the changes mean for the Fulford in Bloom grant for next year?

·        Cllr Keith Aspden replied that unfortunately any schemes already voted for, including for Fulford in Bloom, looked highly unlikely next year due to the significant reduction in the funding and that this was a great shame.

 

Minutes:

Kate Bowers, Head of Neighbourhood Management, spoke about recent developments in Neighbourhood Management.

 

The following points were made;

 

Over the last 14 months a pilot has been carried out in the west of the city.  As part of this, Ward Profiles have been created, refreshing the ambitions of the wards annually.  The central approach is to work through ward teams, with residents and other partner organisations to deliver better services.  For instance the Neighbourhood Management Unit has worked with Future Prospects, the Citizens’ Advice Bureau and Benefits Advice.  One of these initiatives has been for the Citizens’ Advice Bureau to provide outreach sessions in communities. 

 

Cllr Keith Aspden gave a summary of the proposed changes, with a reduction in the number of YourWard newsletters, a significant cut to Ward Committee grants and the centralisation of community and voluntary sector grants. Cllr Aspden reported that he was very concerned about the changes and the impact on local residents opportunities to be involved in local decision making. He estimated this would reduce the grant to Fulford Ward to £1,300 next year.

 

Kate Bowers pointed out that a central pot of money (the community and voluntary sector fund) would be open to all wards for bids.

 

Why have we not been consulted?... Residents reported that they disagreed with this approach, and felt that the current Ward Committee system – including their votes for schemes last year – had been working well.

 

 

 

The following questions were asked:

 

Why has Participatory Budgetting been removed?

·        Kate Bowers responded that resident participation in service delivery would continue and would be delivered in a new way to supplement the existing PB process.

 

Why have we not been consulted on the changes in Neighbourhood Management?

·        Kate Bowers responded that the public would be consulted when there were firm proposals on which to consult.

 

What is the current staffing level of the Neighbourhood Management Unit?

·        Kate Bowers responded that it was currently 14, and that full consultation with staff was required before a structure was proposed .

 

How will Ward Committees be advertised in future, as we no longer receive the Your Ward leaflet?

·        Kate Bowers responded that notification had been sent out with Your Voice, and that Your Ward was available online.  She went on to say that a full review of the process for producing and delivering Your Ward was underway and that notification of future meetings would be delivered to households across the city.

 

What do these changes mean for the Fulford in Bloom grant for next year?

·        Cllr Keith Aspden replied that unfortunately any schemes already voted for, including for Fulford in Bloom, looked highly unlikely next year due to the significant reduction in the funding and that this was a great shame.

 

7.

Have Your Say!

The following issues were raised:

 

What can be done about cars parking in front of Delwood Garages?  These are often blocking access and preventing cars from entering or leaving the garages.

 

·        Cllr Keith Aspden agreed this was a difficult issue and would be pursued.

 

How much will the new road cost for the Germany Beck Development?

A definitive  cost could not be given.

 

 

 

Minutes:

The following issues were raised:

 

What can be done about cars parking in front of Delwood Garages?  These are often blocking access and preventing cars from entering or leaving the garages.

 

·        Cllr Keith Aspden agreed this was a difficult issue and would be pursued.

 

How much will the new road cost for the Germany Beck Development?

·        A definitive  cost could not be given.

 

 

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page