Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Heslington Church, Field Lane York

Contact: Sally Barker 

Items
No. Item

1.

Drop In Surgery

Minutes:

Ten Residents arrived at the Drop In to speak to the Councillors, Street Environment Officer,and Neighbourhood Management Team. A display and joining information was available for Volunteer Snow Patrol Wardens.

2.

Welcome & Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting will be approved and there will be an update on any action points.

Minutes:

Cllr Jamieson- Ball welcomed residents to the meeting and agreed the minutes of the last meeting a true record.

3.

University Road Parking Issues

Representatives from City of York Network Management and the university will talk about parking issues and listen to your concerns.

Minutes:

Alistair Briggs, Traffic Engineer, City of York Council, informed the meeting that a decision had been made earlier that day to place parking restrictions along the entire length of University Road on both sides of the road in order to prevent the parking problems that have occurred over recent years.  It is hoped that this work will be completed by April 2011 following the legal process required.

 

Cllr Jamieson-Ball supported the decision for parking restrictions.

 

Tim Ngwena, President of University of York, outlined the continuing commitment to making the university a car free area. The key message for students is that there is no need to have a car in York as there are far better transport alternatives. Before students move to York, they are informed that there are no parking places available on campus for those living in university accommodation with a few exceptions who can pay for a discounted permit. Information is provided on the extensive bus service at the university, the benefits of cycling and the support offered for cycle safety and maintenance advice. This has been taken up very successfully by students.

 

John Meacock, Director of Estates, University of York introduced himself and informed the meeting that the University of York supported the decision on parking restrictions along University Road and on Heslington Lane.

 

The meeting was then opened up to residents to ask questions and the following points were noted:

 

  • Cars are left outside residents properties on a daily basis. When asked, some students reported that there are no facilities on campus, but the cost and time element of travelling by public transport from Leeds and other cities is prohibitive. Tim Ngwena outlined that students have freedom of choice, the university has been working hard to promote car sharing but they cannot force people to use other means of transport.

 

  • Additional parking will be added for the campus and the new swimming pool. A cycle track has been proposed from the Park & Ride and a possible bus route straight to campus.

 

  • A resident asked the meeting to clarify their views on the financial responsibility for resident parking schemes.

ACTION: Alistair Briggs to clarify and the resident to email A. Briggs the relevant part of the CYC Transport document.

 

  • It is hoped that the temporary buildings at the library site and the ????? site will be removed during the Summer which will increase the number of parking places available on campus. The larger Portacabin at the ????? site will remain.

 

  • Rising bollards are not a feasible option to solve the problem of excessive parking on residential streets as 24 hour access is still required by residents, visitors and emergency services. These are more suitable to block off one entrance to an area that suffers from rat running. Cllr Jamieson-Ball informed the meeting that a similar scheme was consulted on previously and rejected.

 

  • Concern was raised that people would park on the grass verge to avoid the double yellow line parking restrictions. Cllr Jamieson-Ball informed the meeting  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Fulford Rising Mains Replacement Project

Representatives from Yorkshire Water and Bentley will talk about this project.

Minutes:

Michael Glew, Project Manager, Yorkshire Water and Andy Ball from the Project Team of Bentley gave a presentation on the Fulford rising mains replacement project. The meeting was shown plans of where the work is to take place and were reassured that all the land will be restored to it’s original condition and, in some cases, improved upon. Some Roman artefacts, including a broach, buckles and coins had been found during the archaeological explorations of the site. Work began in November but has been slow due to bad weather and flooding. Himalayan Balsam has been found on Fulford Ings and will be removed from the area over coming years to try to eliminate it permanently. The Tansy Beetle has also been found in the areas to be worked on and have been temporarily removed to a safe environment whilst the works take place. They will be returned once the site has been restored.

 

A resident requested that any archaeological artefacts be display in Fulford. ACTION: Cllr Aspden will investigate this possibility.

 

A general discussion took place about the location of part of the works. The officers and residents progressed the discussion outside of the meeting.

 

Reassurance was given to residents that the Himalayan Balsam is treated with a non hazardous substance .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.

Local Improvement Schemes

The final list of proposed Local Improvements Schemes will be discussed and decided.

Minutes:

A general discussion took place about the provisional list of Local Improvement Schemes 2011/2012, that were published in the January 2011 edition of Your Ward. The list of schemes were approved for funding in 2011/12 subject to the schemes being legal, feasible and within budget.

 

Provisional Schemes Lists  2011-12 

Scheme ref

Description

 

 

Cost £

HF-11-02

A fund for to continue filling the existing ward committee-funded salt bins (Delwood, Fulfordgate and Glen Close), as well as two new bins on Langwith Lane (Heslington) and Pasture Farm Close (Fulford).

 

 

£1,100

HF-11-04

Contribution towards installing cycle storage ouside Fulford Cemetery on Fordlands Road

 

 

£500

HF-11-05

Re-paint street light columns back in both wards, where the original paint has flaked off

 

£1,000

HF-11-06

Replace the shabby litter bin at the Connaught court bus shelter on Main street, Fulford

 

£450

HF-11-13

Contribution towards continued hire of the Sustrans rangers who maintain off-road cycle routes in the wards.

 

£250

HF-11-14

Community chest to fund projects and ongoing improvements throughout the year.

 

£3,000

HF-11-15

Grant to York Carers' Centre. Funds will be used to hold sessions at local venues in Heslington and Fulford, offering support to carers and raising awareness of carers issues. More information about the group can be found at: www.yorkcarerscentre.co.uk

 

 

 

£450

HF-11-16

Grant to Age Concern to run a toenail cutting service in local venues. Six sessions will be in Heslington and six in Fulford.

 

£500

HF-11-17

Grant to Older Citizens' Advocacy York to provide advice sessions for older citizens within the ward

 

£1,700

HF-11-20

Grant towards the refurbishment of Fulford Social Hall windows, including secondary glazing where required.

 

£3,000

HF-11-22

Grant to Street Sports York to continue the street sports programme in Heslington & Fulford.(10 two-hour sessions,5 in each ward)

 

£2,000

HF-11-23

Grant to Heslington Sportsfield Management Committee towards refurbishment of the pavilion at the Outgang

 

£5,000

HF-11-24

Grant to Fulford Junior Club for resources and to fund external groups to come in and run various workshops and activities

 

£1,500

HF-11-25

Funding towards new play equipment in existing play areas

 

£1,000

Reserve Schemes

HF-11-03

Street lighting pot to carry out improvements in both wards, including work in Fordlands crescent and School lane based on the designs commissioned from 2010/11 funding

 

 

£6,000

HF-11-07

Add new litter bins between heath Moor drive, Fulford and along Heslington Lane towards the university - reserve

 

£2,400

HF-11-08

Grant to Edible Holmesfield to purchase and grow fruit,nut and herb trees and bushes so that residents can help themselves

 

£490

HF-11-11

Grant to Fulford Parish Council to install information plaques on the site of The Battle of Fulford to aid local understanding.

 

£2,000

HF-11-12

Install a bench and a bin at the new bus stop opposite Heslington Hall

 

£1,700

HF-11-21

Grant to the Fund For The Gifted project to support local families with costs towards sporting activities to help them train and compete at a high enough level to help them succeed.

 

 

£300

6.

Have Your Say

Your Chance to ask questions about local issues and concerns.

Minutes:

A resident requested that her thanks be passed on to Rogers of Pickering for the excellent service and tree planting / care advice when they delivered the fruit trees to residents on 29th November despite the challenging weather and road conditions.

ACTION: Kristina Davey will pass this on to the company

 

Some residents expressed concern about a number of pot holes that have appeared due to the recent bad weather. Cllr Jamieson-Ball encouraged residents to ring the council and report them so that they could be repaired.

 

Cllr Aspden thanked Cllr Jamieson-Ball for his two terms of office and wished him well in the future.

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page