Local democracy during coronavirus

During coronavirus, we've made some changes to how we're running council meetings. See our coronavirus updates for more information on meetings and decisions.

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Remote via Zoom

Contact: Angela Bielby  Democracy Officer

Items
No. Item

1.

Chair's Announcements

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed all to the meeting. Welcomed Andy Tod, new Group C Member to SACRE.

2.

Appointment of Vice Chair

Minutes:

The Director or Governance advised that Ben Rich (from Group A) had been nominated as Vice Chair. SACRE Members unanimously  appointed Ben Rich as Vice Chair.

 

Resolved: That Ben Rich be appointed as Vice Chair for one year.

 

Reason:     To ensure the appointment of SACRE Vice Chair.

 

3.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Brenda Christison, Kate Bailey, Mirazamand Maxine Squire.

4.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

5.

Minutes of the meeting on 5 October 2021 and Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 125 KB

To approve and sign the minutes of the meeting held on 5 October 2021 and consider matters arising from that meeting.

Minutes:

Resolved: That, subject to the removal of Olivia Seymour from the Membership list, the minutes of the meeting held on 5 October 2021 be agreed as a correct record and were to be signed by the Chair at the next available meeting.

 

6.

Annual Report 2020-21 pdf icon PDF 452 KB

To approve the 2020-21 final draft Annual Report.

Minutes:

Olivia Seymour reported that the following circulation of the draft Annual Report to Members before Christmas, the draft presented at the meeting had been updated. Members were invited to make final comments on the draft prior to submission to the DfE and NASACRE. It was suggested and agreed that information on each committee would be added to the attendance table in the report.

 

The meeting adjourned at 6.18pm for Members to meet in their Groups consider the Annual Report.  The meeting reconvened at 6.24pm.

 

Each Group appointed a spokesperson to inform the Council of their chosen appointment. This was reported as follows:

 

Group A agreed the Annual Report

Group C agreed the Annual Report

Group D agreed the Annual Report

 

Regarding Group B, Brenda Christison was not present and had given apologies for the meeting. She had confirmed by email that she agreed the Annual Report.

 

Resolved: That the Chief Operating Officer be recommended to approve the SACRE Annual Report 2020-21

 

Reason:     In order to approve the Annual Report for submission to the DfE and NASACRE.

7.

Monitoring of Standards

To receive an update on the monitoring of Standards in RE.

Minutes:

Olivia Seymour reported that as there had been no Ofsted reports in York she brought information from other Ofsted reports. A Member suggested that it would be good to have a benchmark to see what other authorities had said. A Member suggested that it would be good to get feedback from the Ofsted  committee. Olivia Seymour clarified that SACRE would be looking at Ofsted RE deep dive reports and if there were any specific York schools’ reports, they would be brought to future meetings.

 

Resolved: That Members receive Ofsted RE deep dive reports following the inspection of York schools.

 

Reason:     In order to monitor Standards.

 

8.

Report on school questionnaire pdf icon PDF 86 KB

To examine the school questionnaires and identify key points arising from the questionnaires to inform the Development Plan.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members had been provided with feedback on RE from schools and they were asked to identify themes and training needs. The following points were made during discussion:

·        A Member noted the reference to YOYO in two schools questionnaires.

·        It was noted that as part of the syllabus launch, schools were provided with a list of contact details for places to visit.

·        A Member that had attended anti-racism training suggested that it would be useful for SACRE Members to attend. Olivia Seymour advised that the training session had been recorded and SACRE Members were welcome to access the training that way.

·        A Member from Group C (teacher) noted that at his school they had rearranged a visit from the Imam and had had a visit from a Hindu representative. He noted that he would raise RE visits at the next RE network training session.

·        It was noted that the current context was encouraging due to the number of school questionnaire responses that had been received.

 

Olivia Seymour thanked Andy Tod for leading the primary subject leaders group and she confirmed that teachers were accessing regional training. 

 

Olivia Seymour identified that there was a number of new RE subject leaders and noted that induction training was not currently on offer for new RE subject leaders. The Chair noted that it would be good to encourage RE subject leaders to work with SACRE as well as experienced subject leaders. A Member from Group C (teacher) noted that the courses run were good and useful for newly appointed subject leaders.

 

Resolved: That Members receive the schools’ RE questionnaire results.

 

Reason:     In order to identify themes and training needs in relation to standards.

 

9.

National RE and Collective Worship Updates pdf icon PDF 418 KB

To receive an update on National RE and Collective Worship Updates from  Professional RE Adviser.

Minutes:

Olivia Seymour highlighted the following items in her update to Members:  

·        The parliamentary question on RE question from Kim Leadbeater, MP for Batley and Spen, and the response to it.  

·        Applications for the 2022/23 Farmington Scholarships were now open. These were Scholarships available to teachers of religious education and associated subjects in UK secondary, primary, and special needs schools.

 

Resolved: That the National RE and Collective Worship updates be noted.

 

Reason:     In order to be kept up to date on National RE and Collective Worship updates.

 

10.

York SACRE work programme 2020/2022 pdf icon PDF 355 KB

To consider the development plan 2020/22.

Minutes:

The Director of Governance sought Members views on the future of the Development Plan. She noted that there was funding for it. Members expressed the following views:

·        A Member suggested that it would  be useful to set up a Youth SACRE. The Director of Governnance advised that Maxine Squire was leading on this and it was intended that this would be built into the Development Plan.

·        A Member asked if York Interfaith Group and SACRE could work together on York Interfaith Week. Olivia Seymour confirmed that this would be possible.

 

Resolved: That Schools’ Questionnaire be added to the work programme for the March SACRE meeting and Youth SACRE for the June meeting.

 

Reason:     In order to keep the work programme up to date.

 

[Cllr Rowley left the meeting at 6.58pm]

 

 

11.

Correspondence

A verbal update will be given on complaints received and the  determinations in respect of those complaints.

 

Minutes:

It was reported that there had been no complaints to SACRE.

 

Resolved: That Members be updated on complaints.

 

Reason:     In order to be kept updated on complaints to SACRE and determinations of complaints.

 

12.

Dates for future meetings

1 March 2022 at 5.00pm

7 June 2022 at 5.00pm

Minutes:

It was noted that the March and June meeting dates clashed with York Interfaith Group meetings and the Democracy Officer undertook to find alternative meeting dates.

 

13.

2021-22 Work plan pdf icon PDF 104 KB

To consider the 2021-22 SACRE work plan.

Minutes:

This was covered under item 10.

14.

Urgent Business

Any other business which the Chair considers to be urgent

 

Minutes:

Ben Rich confirmed that the visit to the Jewish exhibition at the Castle Museum on 21 January was still going ahead.

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page