The Groves – The Future of the Low Traffic Neighbourhood Trial
Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Decision Made
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Purpose of Report: The report provides an update on work to develop
a community plan for the Groves area. As part of the development of
the community plan an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO)
was made in September 2020, preventing traffic from travelling
through the area whilst retaining vehicular access for all
properties. As the ETRO is coming to an end the report will provide
feedback from both the community consultation and the formal ETRO
The Executive will be asked to consider the objectives and the impacts of the Experimental Traffic Regulation Order in the Groves and the Groves community plan and to determine the next steps and any permanent changes to Traffic Regulation Orders.
Having noted the comments made under Public Participation on this item, it was
Resolved: (i) That the Chief Operating Officer (COO) approve making the ETRO permanent, with the following changes to the scheme as set out in the report:
· changing the closure points to use bollards and signage improvements in and around The Groves;
· making permanent the changes that were made to a small number of parking spaces, which were removed or relocated to make room for turning points at the closures, and merging the existing resident parking zones permanently.
Reason: To provide quality alternative sustainable modes of transport in order to encourage behavioural change and maximise the use of walking, cycling and public transport and continue improving road safety; minimise the emission of harmful pollutants and traffic danger within the Groves; enhance public streets and spaces to improve the quality of life; minimise the impact of motorised traffic and encourage economic, social and cultural activity.
(ii) That the COO be recommended to ask officers to continue to monitor and review the impacts of the scheme and (as part of LTP4), consider further mitigations to be identified where required.
Reason: In line with Transport objectives, both existing LTP3 objectives and emerging LTP4 objectives and as is normal practice for newly established Low Traffic Neighbourhood schemes.
(iii) That the COO be recommended to delegate authority to the Director of Environment, Planning & Transport, in consultation with the Executive Member for Transport, to sign off the detailed design for the permanent closure points (bollard type and exact locations), and approve any further small changes to parking, signing and lining required to make the arrangements permanent.
Reason: To enable the closure points to be designed for the permanent scheme, with adequate signage for highway users within and around the Groves.
(iv) That the Groves Community Plan be noted as the outcome of the community consultation and that the COO be recommended to ask officers to explore options and opportunities for external funding to bring forward objectives identified in the Plan.
Reason: To improve the Groves area and deliver the benefits identified by the Groves Community Plan.
Report author: Dave Atkinson
Publication date: 14/01/2022
Date of decision: 13/01/2022
Decided at meeting: 13/01/2022 - Executive
Effective from: 18/01/2022
- Report on The Groves ETRO Exec v4.7da_HV PDF 443 KB View as HTML (1) 141 KB
- Annex A1 - The Groves Area PDF 222 KB View as HTML (2) 15 KB
- Annex A2 - Groves Community Plan Feb 2020 Draft5 PDF 17 MB
- AnnexB_Objections to the ETRO bullet points (1) PDF 126 KB
- AnnexC_Objections to ETRO Nov 2020 to May 2021 PDF 181 KB
- AnnexD_Objections to ETRO since May 2021 (1) PDF 136 KB
- Annexe A3 Traffic analysis PDF 1 MB
- AnnexE_Email Spar Shop Jan 2021 PDF 50 KB
- AnnexF_Support for ETRO PDF 42 KB
- AnnexG_EIA_Draft_v2.1 PDF 1 MB
- Background Paper - Road Safety Data PDF 6 MB
- Background Paper - The Groves_WSP_Final Issue_15.12.21 PDF 3 MB
- Background Paper_The GrovesYork_AQ_Technical Note_20211215 PDF 482 KB