Consultation on Additional Licensing Scheme for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Purpose of Report: To determine whether to undertake public
consultation on a proposal to introduce additional HMO
The Executive will be asked to consider the existing evidence base and determine whether they wish to approve a 10 week consultation on the introduction of additional licensing for Houses in Multiple Occupation in order to improve standards.
Resolved: (i) That approval be given to undertake a city-wide, statutory 10-week consultation on the potential designation of ta targeted Additional Licensing Scheme for HMOs with 3 or 4 occupants within the wards of Hull Road, Guildhall, Clifton, Fishergate, Heworth, Micklegate, Osbaldwick & Derwent, and Fulford & Heslington.
(ii) That a further report be brought to Executive following the conclusion of the consultation, to determine whether to designate an additional licensing scheme.
Reason: To seek to improve HMOs, thereby:
· benefiting tenants by ensuring that homes are safe and well-managed;
· creating a level playing field for landords / agents;
· supporting stakeholders such as the Fire and Rescue Service, Police and NHS by improving fire safety and security and reducing the number of unhealthy homes;
· supporting universities and other educational institutions in attracting students;
· supporting the wider city businesses and residents by providing well-managed and sustainable housing.
Report author: Ruth Abbott
Publication date: 19/03/2021
Date of decision: 18/03/2021
Decided at meeting: 18/03/2021 - Executive
Effective from: 23/03/2021