Street Works – Changing from Noticing to a Permitting Scheme
Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Decision Made
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Purpose of Report: The aim of this report is to seek approval from
the Executive to conduct a public consultation on proposals to
introduce a permit scheme to govern all utility and highway works
activities within the authority’s highway network.
Executive are asked to approve a public consultation exercise to seek feedback from statutory consultees and other stakeholders on the proposals to introduce a permit scheme to govern all utility and highway works activities in York.
This decision has been postponed from the 15 December 2020 to allow for To allow further consideration of the consultation responses.
Resolved: (i) That Option A be approved and the proposed permit scheme, fee levels and implementation set out in Annexes A, B and F to the report be adopted.
(ii) That authority be delegated to the Corporate Director of Housing, Economy & Place, in consultation with the S151 Officer and the Director of Governance or her delegated officers, to implement future changes to the scheme and associated fees.
· To improve City of York Council’s ability to manage applications to work on its road network, including the ability to refuse applications, enabling the council to better meet its Network Management Duty;
· to reduce disruption on the road network and delays for all road users; and
· to encourage a greater emphasis on safety on street and road works sites through an enhanced site inspection regime.
Report author: Helene Vergereau
Publication date: 15/01/2021
Date of decision: 14/01/2021
Decided at meeting: 14/01/2021 - Executive
Effective from: 19/01/2021
- Report Street Works Permit Scheme PDF 312 KB View as HTML (1) 52 KB
- Annex A Draft Permit Scheme PDF 1 MB View as HTML (2) 183 KB
- Annex B Fee Levels PDF 732 KB View as HTML (3) 34 KB
- Annex C Consultation summary PDF 711 KB View as HTML (4) 87 KB
- Annex D Checklist PDF 626 KB View as HTML (5) 42 KB
- Annex E Cost Benefit Analysis Summary PDF 808 KB
- Annex F Proposed team structure PDF 452 KB View as HTML (7) 30 KB
- Annex G Implementation tasks and programme PDF 573 KB View as HTML (8) 51 KB