The York Business Improvement District Renewal Ballot
Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Decision Made
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Purpose of Report: To advise the
Executive about the York Business Improvement District (BID)
renewal ballot. This will allow local businesses within the BID
area to vote on whether they wish the BID to continue as an
organisation for a second five year term.
*Please note this report, and the ballot renewal date, has been delayed for three months due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Executive will be asked to:
• Support the City Centre BID and its work, and its bid for a
• Confirm that the Executive is satisfied that the York BID proposals are not in conflict with any existing Council Policy
• Note the Baseline Service Agreements which provide a legal commitment by the Council to maintain provision of relevant services in the BID area
• Approve arrangements proceed to allow the Council to operate the ballot and act as the collection agent for the levy
• Note the stages and timescales required to secure a second BID term
This item has been postponed until 14 January 2021 due to the York Bid Ballot date has been delayed and therefore the above report has been slipped in line with the revised timeline.
Resolved: (i) That the BID be supported in their campaign to secure a second term in York through a ballot of all businesses in the BID area set out in Annex 1.
(ii) That the Leader of the Council be requested to cast the Council’s ballot votes in support of a further term.
Reason: To allow the work of the BID and its partners to continue to boost the city centre economy, and to ease difficult trading conditions for retailers, particularly in a post-pandemic recovery environment.
(iii) That the content of the BID Business Plan and the council’s Baseline Service Level Agreements be noted.
(iv) That the role of the York BID, Make it York and other key city partners in supporting the city centre economy be noted.
Reason: To be clear on the role of all partners, as well as the commitments of the council, in maintaining statutory services.
Report author: Penny Nicholson
Publication date: 15/01/2021
Date of decision: 14/01/2021
Decided at meeting: 14/01/2021 - Executive
Effective from: 19/01/2021