Proposed Changes to the Tenancy Agreement
Decision Maker: Decision Session - Executive Member for Finance and Performance, Executive Leader (incorporating Housing & Safer Neighbourhoods))
Decision status: Decision Made
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Purpose of report: To present proposed amendments to the council’s tenancy agreement including:
· providing clarification on the wording with regard to the use of the property.
· changing the rent year from 48 weeks & 4 weeks ‘rent free’ to 52 weeks (the effect being that the same amount is paid overall but it makes it easier to budget especially when Universal Credit is fully rolled out.)
· introducing flexible tenancy start dates so it does not have to be a Monday.
· amending the succession rules for new tenants so that they are in line with the Localism Act 2012.
· introducing a requirement to obtain permission to have pets (this is not currently a requirement) so that this can be withdrawn when needed.
Existing tenants will be consulted before notice of changes can be issued for implementation in April 2016.
The Executive Member is asked to agree to consult with tenants on proposed changes to council tenants tenancy agreement
Due to other meeting commitments the Executive Member will now hold his Decision Session on Wednesday 16 December at 3:00pm.
Resolved: That option 2 be agreed, to allow consultation on the changes already agreed to the Tenancy Agreement and the proposed introduction of flexible tenancy start dates, a 52 week rent collection year and the introduction of the requirement to obtain formal permission to keep pets.
Reason: To allow a full consultation with all council tenants on the proposed changes to the tenancy agreement and for this to inform the final changes to be implemented from April 2016.
Report author: Denis Southall
Publication date: 16/12/2015
Date of decision: 16/12/2015
Decided at meeting: 16/12/2015 - Decision Session - Executive Member for Finance and Performance
Effective from: 19/12/2015