10 Year Strategies
Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Decision Made
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
As a Council, we are following a strategic approach to developing
the city’s ambitions for the decade ahead, considering the
interdependencies between actions that affect the environment,
society, and the economy. Particularly recognising the
Council’s existing commitment to achieving zero carbon by
2030, and the impact that climate change is already having locally,
through ever increasing extreme weather events. The Covid pandemic
has also further highlighted the importance of cohesive and urgent
action that would address the longer term challenges and take
advantage of the opportunities for developing skills and
infrastructure needed to tackle the shift to a sustainable and
inclusive economy. To this end, three strategies have been
developed, covering health and wellbeing, economic growth and
climate change to inform city-wide direction over the next
The purpose of the report is to present the Economic Strategy, and the Climate Change Strategy for consideration by Executive as to whether to adopt these on behalf of the city.
The Health and Wellbeing Strategy is provided as an annex to note interdependencies; however the Health and Wellbeing Strategy is separately considered for approval by the Health and Wellbeing Board.
A city-wide engagement process has informed the development of the draft 10 year strategies, and resident and stakeholder feedback will be shared with the report. Relevant scrutiny committees have also contributed and reviewed the strategies.
The Executive are asked to:
• Approve the Climate Change Strategy 2022-2032 and the Economic Strategy 2022-2032
• Consider whether to adopt the Climate Change and Economic Strategy on behalf of the city, or whether to defer the decision to Full Council
• Review the resident and stakeholder feedback that informed the development of these strategies.
• Review the draft 10 year plan
Decision due date for Executive changed from 06/10/2022 to 22/11/2022. Reason: Because of the sad demise of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the subsequent postponement of Climate Emergency Policy and Scrutiny Committee and the Health and Wellbeing Board, we have postponed the 10 year strategies item on Executive. This is to provide sufficient time for the strategies to be reviewed prior to commencing to Executive for approval of the Climate Change Strategy and endorsement of the Health and Wellbeing Strategy.
[See also Item 16]
Resolved: (i) That the strategy and policy framework, showing how different related strategies, policies and plans will deliver the ambitious goals articulated in the 10 year strategies, be noted.
(ii) That the recommendations of the Climate Emergency Policy & Scrutiny Committee be approved.
(iii) That the Climate Change Action Plan be approved.
(iv) That the establishment of the Economic Partnership be approved.
(v) That the 10 year strategies implementation plan be endorsed.
Reason: To engage partners, city leaders, businesses, stakeholders and residents to work together on key agreed priority areas that aim to actively improve the quality of life for all York’s residents.
Report author: Claire Foale
Publication date: 23/11/2022
Date of decision: 22/11/2022
Decided at meeting: 22/11/2022 - Executive
Effective from: 25/11/2022
- 10 Year Strategies PDF 611 KB View as HTML (1) 140 KB
- Annex A Our Big Conversation 10 year strategies summary of feedback PDF 356 KB View as HTML (2) 19 KB
- Annex Bi Climate Change Strategy 2022-2032 PDF 1 MB View as HTML (3) 220 KB
- Annex Bii Climate Change Action Plan PDF 788 KB View as HTML (4) 375 KB
- Annex Biii Climate Change Strategy_Technical Annex PDF 3 MB View as HTML (5) 288 KB
- Annex Biv Climate change Strategy Equalities Impact Assessment PDF 722 KB View as HTML (6) 166 KB
- Annex Ci Economic Strategy PDF 373 KB View as HTML (7) 115 KB
- Annex Cii York Economic Strategy Technical Annex PDF 1 MB
- Annex Ciii Economic Strategy Equalities Impact Assessment PDF 752 KB View as HTML (9) 167 KB
- Annex Civ Economic Partnership Terms of Reference PDF 362 KB View as HTML (10) 45 KB
- Annex Di Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2022-32 PDF 4 MB
- Annex Dii Health and Wellbeing Strategy Equalities Impact Assessment PDF 672 KB View as HTML (12) 105 KB