STEP – Transport Data Platform
Decision Maker: Decision Session - Executive Member for Transport, Executive Member for Transport
Decision status: Decision Made
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Purpose of report: In March 2018 CoYC
was awarded £2.845M in National Productivity Investment Fund
(NPIF) grant funding to carry out the Smart Transport Evolution
Programme (STEP). The Department For Transport (DfT) are the sponsor and provide governance on
grant conditions being met.
This report updates the Executive Member for Transport on the work done with the grant so far and requests approval to commission a fundamental part of the STEP project – A Data Platform that will be a repository and integration hub used for the collection, aggregation, storage, dissemination and visualisation of traffic and transport data.
The Executive Member will be asked to note STEP progress to date and approve the commissioning of the Data Platform.
i. Noted STEP progress to date and approved the commissioning of the STEP Data Platform so the procurement may be completed under officer delegated authority.
· Commissioning the STEP Data Platform will allow CoYC to fulfil the grant funding conditions.
· A Transport Data Platform Prototype has proven the concept and technical integrations work, removing a lot of technical risk.
· A Procurement exercise has been carried out, so contract costs are known.
· A feed of live transport Data from the Prototype has been used by the Government to track COVID travel patterns and has positively raised the profile of CoYC.
· The STEP Data Platform requires a robust industrial solution to ensure future support and reliability not supported with the Prototype.
Report author: James Guilliatt
Publication date: 22/06/2021
Date of decision: 22/06/2021
Decided at meeting: 22/06/2021 - Decision Session - Executive Member for Transport
Effective from: 25/06/2021