York Central Design Guidelines
Decision Maker: Decision Session - Executive Member for Finance and Performance, Executive Leader (incorporating Finance & Performance)
Decision status: Decision Made
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Purpose of Report: The Executive delegated the final sign off of
the York Central Design Guidelines which accompany the master plan
to the Leader and Deputy Leader to enable a submission of an
outline planning application in August 2018.
The Executive Leader (incorporating Finance & Performance) and the Executive Member for Environment (Deputy Leader) are asked to sign off the York Central Design Guidelines prior to the submission by the York Central Partnership of an outline planning application.
Resolved: (i) That the detailed drafting of the following proposed amendments to the Draft York Central Design Guide at Annex 2 to the report be delegated to the Corporate Director of Economy & Place:
· Different height levels / physical separation to be used where cycle ways are proposed other than on shared surfaces;
· Cycle lanes to be clearly indicated in contrasting materials;
· Mixing of cyclists and pedestrians in unmarked situations to be discouraged;
· Cycle parking, where provided, to be adequate, secure and safe, with sufficient dedicated ground floor cycle parking, appropriate to the anticipated level of occupation, designed into all buildings;
· Cycle storage to be included in external parking areas;
· Central Park Swale to have permanent water as part of the Sustainable Urban Drainage Strategy (SUDS);
· Electric charging points to be integrated in primary streets;
· Proposed car parking provision above 10 units to include centralised car schemes to reduce the need for car ownership;
· Snickets to be designed to discourage anti-social behaviour, graffiti, fly tipping and poor waste storage, design out crime and promote personal safety;
· The ‘right tree in the right place’ principle to be applied within the street tree framework, to ensure the trees do not cause problems at maturity;
· Any proposal not to use photo voltaic panels on heritage buildings or multi-storey car parks to be justified;
· Buildings to be encouraged to surpass the current CYC minimum carbon emissions standards by over 10% and required to undergo a cost benefit analysis regarding the achievement of Passivhaus certification unless clearly demonstrated that this cannot be done;
· Low or Zero Carbon feasibility studies to be expected for all non-residential buildings;
· Proposals for energy networks and a collaborative approach to be expected as part of the detailed proposals (to replace the District Heating Scheme);
· Adequate provision to be made on site for waste and recycling storage.
Reason: To ensure that York Central partners are advised of amendments that the Council would like to see in the Design Guide in order that it reflects the public concern expressed in respect of cycling and pedestrian access, car use and other environmental issues.
(ii) That, subject to these amendments, the Design Guide be endorsed for submission by York Central partners as part of the York Central Outline Planning Application.
Reason: To ensure York Central partners seek to secure quality and sustainability place making objectives for York Central, and to ensure the timely progression of the York Central development.
(iii) That a report be prepared by officers for the Executive to enable them to consider the proposals of the National Railway Museum (NRM), before submissions are made for the redevelopment of the NRM or the diversion of Leeman Road.
Reason: To ensure that Council has opportunity to formally engage with a key partner to address any public concerns around these proposals.
(iv) That the following matters be addressed in future reports to the Executive:
a) Arrangements for a dedicated person to collate policy on and champion equalities issues for York Central, to help co-ordinate input from the wide range of groups in the city and from individual representations.
b) How community facilities, and the development of community organisations to oversee the operation of the public realm and community buildings within the York Central scheme, will be dealt with.
Reason: To ensure that equalities and community issues can be properly addressed within the scheme.
(v) That it be noted that:
· The planning process will cover the issue of the minimum widths of cycle lanes not detailed in the York Central Design Guide;
· Each planning application relating to transport will need to demonstrate the application of the hierarchy of transport users;
· Planning applications for office developments will need to demonstrate the provision of secure cycle storage, changing facilities and showering facilities;
· Planning applications will need to demonstrate that where mixed use is delivered it will support a vibrant daytime and evening use of an area on the site.
Reason: To confirm that the Executive Leader and Deputy Leader are aware of these matters and public concerns but have not attempted to address them as they will be part of subsequent planning processes.
Report author: Tracey Carter
Publication date: 07/08/2018
Date of decision: 06/08/2018
Decided at meeting: 06/08/2018 - Decision Session - Executive Member for Finance and Performance
Effective from: 09/08/2018