Financial Strategy 2011-2017
Decision Maker: Executive - for meetings from 03/06/00 to 26/04/11
Decision status: Withdrawn
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Purpose of report: To present the Financial Strategy for the period 2011 - 2017, including the detailed Revenue Budget proposals for 2011/12.
Members are asked to: Recommend the proposals to Budget Council
RESOLVED: (i) That the Equalities Impact Assessment on the budget be noted.
(ii) That priority be given to growth expected to have a positive effect on older and younger people who are disabled, and their carers.
(iii) That the savings expected to have a negative effect on the groups mentioned above be noted.
(iv) That, regarding increases in fees and charges, particularly in adult social care, Officers be asked to make appropriate provision for people from the groups above, especially those who have limited financial means.
(v) That, in cases where service provision is passed on to independent providers, Officers be asked to ensure that contractual agreements ensure that people from the groups above receive the same level of service as before, or better.
(vi) That, having considered:
a. Expenditure pressures facing the Council in 2011/12, as detailed at Annex 1, including the loss of departmental grant income;
b. The impacts in 2011/12 of the growth requirements and savings proposals outlined in Annexes 3 and 4;
c. Medium term financial factors facing the Council, as outlined in the report;
d. The level of reserves projected to be held at 31 March 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 (Annex B);
e. The significant future pressures identified;
f. The statutory advice from the Director of Customer and Business Support Services;
g. The need to ensure that any adjustments to these proposals are self-balancing within the requirements laid down by the Director of Customer and Business Support Services, as the Council’s responsible financial officer;
RECOMMENDED:That Council approve the budget proposals outlined in the report of the Director of Customer and Business Support Services and set out in detail within the financial strategy, in particular:
(i) the net revenue expenditure requirement for 2011/12 of £125,728k (£123,900k after deducting the grant assistance to keep the council tax rise to zero), as set out in Annex 1;
(ii) the housing revenue account proposals outlined in Annex 6;
(iii) the dedicated schools grant proposals outlined in the report;
(iv) the revenue growth proposals of £9,394k on-going for 2011/12, plus one-off growth of £442k, outlined in Annex 3, subject to the following amendments:
a)reduce growth proposals by £301k as follows:
· CORG04 - Corporate contingency reduce from £400k to £99k
b)include new growth proposals totalling £824k as follows:
· one-off investment in highways maintenance of £657k to be funded from reserves
· Winter maintenance budget for ward committees in the sum of £40k
· Jobs fighting fund in the sum of £98k
· Revenue impact of capital programme amendment for street lighting in the sum of £5k
· Revenue impact of capital programme amendment for photovoltaic scheme in the sum of £9k
· Revenue impact of capital programme amendment for highways maintenance in the sum of £15k
resulting in revised figures of £9,260k for ongoing growth in 2011/12, plus one-off growth of £1,099k;
(v)the revenue savings proposals of £21,170k for 2011/12 outlined in Annex 4, subject to the following amendments;
a)reduce saving proposals by £100k as follows:
· ACES12 - reduce saving for review of young people’s service from £200k to £100k to help sustain the Urbie bus, skatepark and Duke of Edinburgh schemes.
b)reject savings proposals totalling £34k as follows:
· CSTS43 / SCTED04 Welcome to Yorkshire in the sum of £34k
resulting in a revised figure of £21,036k;
(vi) use of prior year collection fund surplus of £1,000k;
(vii) in terms of the Council’s reserves, the use in 2011/12 of £657k from general reserves for highways maintenance.
(viii) note the medium term financial strategy projections that indicate the need for savings/efficiencies in future years of £10m per annum,
REASON: In order to set a balanced budget, taking into account the priorities and considerations identified by the Executive.
Report author: Keith Best
Publication date: 16/02/2011
Date of decision: 15/02/2011
Decided at meeting: 15/02/2011 - Executive - for meetings from 03/06/00 to 26/04/11
- Financial Strategy 2011-17 PDF 249 KB
- Annex 1 Financial Strategy - Summary of Budget PDF 48 KB
- Annex 2 Financial Strategy- Directorate Analysis of Budget PDF 40 KB
- Annex 3 Financial Strategy - Growth and Service Reprioritisation PDF 60 KB
- Annex 4 Financial Strategy - Detailed Savings Proposals PDF 126 KB
- Annex 5 Financial Strategy - Estimated Reserve Balances PDF 40 KB
- Annex 6 Financial Strategy - Housing Revenue Account PDF 52 KB
- Annex 6a Financial Strategy - Housing Revenue Account PDF 41 KB
- Annex 7 Financial Strategy - DSG and the Schools Budget PDF 68 KB
- Annex 8 Financial Strategy - Risk Assessment and Sensitivity Analysis PDF 54 KB
- Appendix - Financial Strategy 2011 PDF 108 KB
- Budget 2011-12 EIA PDF 175 KB