Agenda and minutes
Venue: The Severus Room - 1st Floor West Offices (F032). View directions
Contact: Laura Bootland
Declarations of Interest
At this point in the meeting, Members are asked to declare:
· any personal interests not included on the Register of Interests
· any prejudicial interests or
· any disclosable pecuniary interests
which they may have in respect of business on this agenda.
At this point in the meeting, Members were asked to declare any personal, prejudicial or pecuniary interests they may have in the business on the agenda. None were declared.
Exclusion of Press and Public
To consider excluding the public and press from the meeting during consideration of annex 4 to agenda item 4 on the grounds that it contains information relating to individuals. This information is classed as exempt under Paragraph 2 of Schedule 12A to Section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended by the Local Government (Access to information) (Variation) Order 2006.
Resolved: That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of annex 4 on the grounds that it contains information relating to individuals.
At this point in the meeting members of the public who have registered their wish to speak regarding an item on the agenda or an issue within the Committee’s remit can do so. The deadline for registering is 5:00 pm on Friday 24th January 2014.
It was reported that there had been no registrations to speak under the Councils Public Participation Scheme.
There had been two registrations to speak in respect of agenda item 5, details of which are under the relevant minute item.
This report seeks Members determination of an application for the renewal of a Sex Establishment Licence for a sexual entertainment venue which has been made under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, Schedule 3 Control of Sex Establishments.
Members considered a report which asked them to determine an application for the renewal of a Sex Establishment Licence for a Sexual Entertainment Venue which had been made under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, Schedule 3 Control of Sex Establishments in respect of Mansion (Upstairs), 53-55 Micklegate, York, YO1 6LJ.
In coming to their decision, Members took into consideration all the evidence and submissions that were presented to them including:
1. The application form.
2. The Licensing Managers report and her comments made at the hearing, including that the application was for the renewal of a sex establishment licence in line with Section 27 of the Policing and Crime Act 2009 which allowed local authorities to regulate lap dancing clubs and similar venues. Members were advised that the establishment had been operating for a number of years without incident.
3. The comments made by the applicant at the hearing. He advised that the club is operated responsibly and discreetly and that no complaints had been received from local residents.
4. The comments made in writing and at the hearing by representatives of York Feminist Network. They asked that Members considered the Council’s obligations under the Equality Act 2010 and argued that the licence should not be granted due to sensitive nearby premises such as charity offices and a church. They also advised that they were aware of women feeling threatened in the Micklegate area.
The Chair advised the representors that if any crimes against females are taking place in the Micklegate area then they should be reported to the Police in order for an evidence base to exist.
Members were presented with the following options:
Option 1 Renew the Licence.
Option 2 Renew the licence with modified/additional conditions imposed by the Licensing Gambling and Regulatory Committee.
Option 3 Reject the renewal application.
Resolved: That Members agreed Option 1 to renew the Licence.
Reason: The premise has operated as a lap dancing venue since September 2006 without any reported incidents.