Issue - meetings
Active Travel Programme – Project Scope
Meeting: 14/02/2022 - Decision Session - Executive Member for Transport (Item 48)
48 Active Travel Programme – Project Scope PDF 402 KB
This report seeks a decision to approve the proposed project outlines, such that officers can proceed with confidence, reducing abortive work and supporting a more expeditious delivery of schemes.
- Annex 1 - Active Travel Programme v4, item 48 PDF 170 KB
- Annex 2 - Project Outline - A19 Cycle Scheme - v1.3 20012022, item 48 PDF 293 KB View as HTML (48/3) 44 KB
- Annex 3 - Project Outline - Acomb Road Cycle Scheme - v1.3 02022022, item 48 PDF 273 KB View as HTML (48/4) 39 KB
- Annex 4 - Project Outline - University EW Campus Link - v1.0 19012022, item 48 PDF 269 KB View as HTML (48/5) 39 KB
- Annex 5 - Project Outline - ATP People Streets - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 265 KB View as HTML (48/6) 31 KB
- Annex 6 - Project Outline - A1237 section over the River Ouse - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 280 KB View as HTML (48/7) 31 KB
- Annex 7 - Project Outline - City Centre NS Cycle Route - v1.0 0302022, item 48 PDF 270 KB View as HTML (48/8) 38 KB
- Annex 8 - Project Outline - City Centre Bridges - v1.0 01022022, item 48 PDF 266 KB View as HTML (48/9) 30 KB
- Annex 9 - Project Outline - University Rd Minor Ped Works - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 263 KB View as HTML (48/10) 26 KB
- Annex 10 - Project Outline - Hospital Flds Rd Cycle Scheme - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 264 KB View as HTML (48/11) 27 KB
- Annex 11 - Project Outline - Tang Hall Lane Foss Islands Path - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 268 KB View as HTML (48/12) 33 KB
- Annex 12 - Project Outline - Manor Lane Shipton Road Scheme - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 268 KB View as HTML (48/13) 32 KB
- Annex 13 - Project Outline - Orbital Cycle Route at Lawrence St - v1 03022022, item 48 PDF 267 KB View as HTML (48/14) 34 KB
- Annex 14 - Project Outline - Wheldrake to Heslington - v1.0 02022022, item 48 PDF 274 KB View as HTML (48/15) 38 KB
- Annex 15 - Project Outline - Fishergate Gyratory P&C Scheme - v1, item 48 PDF 269 KB View as HTML (48/16) 36 KB
- Annex 16 - Project Outline - Fulford Road Frederick House - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 360 KB View as HTML (48/17) 30 KB
- Annex 17 - Project Outline - St Georges Field Crossing - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 263 KB View as HTML (48/18) 29 KB
- Annex 18 - Project Outline - Rougier St Tanners Moat Gap - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 265 KB View as HTML (48/19) 31 KB
- Annex 19 - Project Outline - Skeldergate Cycle Improvements - v1.0 03022022, item 48 PDF 263 KB View as HTML (48/20) 28 KB
- Background Document 1 - EATF T2 Application Submitted Copy, item 48 PDF 341 KB
- Background Document 2 - Cycling & Walking Prioritisation Report Director DS 070520, item 48 PDF 283 KB
- Background Document 3 - Cycling Walking Priori Report Annex A Director DS, item 48 PDF 118 KB
i. Approved the project outlines including the extension of the Acomb Road scheme to include the section from Beckfield Lane to Hebden Rise, with a number of individual changes to the documents detailed in the minutes. To delegate to the Director of Environment, Transport and Planning in consultation with the Executive Member further amendments to the outlines of the projects.
Reason: To enable officers to progress projects effectively within the Active Travel Programme.
ii. Agreed to delegate to the Director of Environment, Transport and Planning in consultation with Director of Governance and Chief Finance Officer the procurement of design resource for the ‘A19 Cycle Scheme’ and the A1237 section over the River Ouse’ scheme.
Reason: To support progress of the identified projects.
iii. Confirmed and approved the proposed prioritisation of projects within the programme.
Reason: To support the creation of more accurate programme timescales and allow more effective assignment of resource.
iv. Confirmed and approved the budget allocation follows the above prioritisation in decision iii. This approach being one that assigns funding to projects as and when the necessary feasibility information becomes available, rather than waiting for information on all projects within the programme.
Reason: To ensure an appropriate balance is reached between obtaining value for money and the expeditious delivery of schemes.
The Executive Member considered the report and noted the need for the Council to get the scope correct for its list of Active Travel Programme. It was clarified that the report was looking at the scope for the different proposed programmes before design work was undertaken. It was therefore confirmed that schemes would still go out to public consultation when individual schemes were being advertised.
Several of the individual schemes were discussed by the Executive Member. He also noted the comments made during public participation and from the written representatives, and added that he had had discussion with Ward Councillors about schemes such as Acomb Road. Following discussions with officers he also recommended the changes outlined in the resolved below to the following schemes, amended additional text highlighted in yellow.
i. Approved the project outlines including the extension of the Acomb Road scheme to include the section from Beckfield Lane to Hebden Rise, with a number of individual changes to the documents detailed below to the Active Travel Programme – Project Scope:
Annex 2 - A19 Cycle Scheme the objectives be revised to state: “Improve junctions for cyclists (without detriment to pedestrians) – Make changes to the junctions of Clifton Green / Water End and Rawcliffe Lane / Shipton Road to improve the amenity for cycling (and where possible for walking)”. That the scope be revised to state “Consideration of solutions to enable safe pedestrian access to, and use of, existing bus stops (including meeting needs of disabled passengers).”
Annex 3 – Acomb Road Cycle Scheme the geographical scope of the project be amended and now reaches “between Beckfield Lane and the Fox junction”. It was confirmed that design work for the scheme could commence on the entire geographical scope, however, construction work west of Hebden Rise may occur in a later phase than the other elements, dependent upon consultation outcome and interactions with the Acomb Regeneration scheme.
Annex 6 - A1237 Section over the River Ouse it was decided that a reduction in speed limit can be considered to achieve the project objectives. This can include consideration of a reduction in speed limits in the adjacent location of Great North Way. It was noted that the scoping document would not require changes to project outline required, consideration of speed limit reduction was already identified within the document.
Annex 7 - City Centre North South Cycle Route that the project description be revised to state: “Create a clear, legible, attractive alternative route for cyclists instead of the footstreets or the inner ring road.” Also that the scope be revised to: “Consideration of LTN 1/20. Green scoring solutions are preferred, however non green scoring solutions can be considered if they achieve the stated objectives. This includes the location of Ogleforth / Aldwalk junction”
Annex 8 – City Centre Bridges that the scope revised to state “Consideration of solutions that require changes to traffic regulation orders, including lower speed limits.” Also to revise the scope ... view the full minutes text for item 48