Issue - meetings
Holly bank Area - Objections to Traffic Regulation Order
This report informs members of objections made to the advertised Traffic Regulation Order for the introduction of waiting restrictions in the Holly Bank Road area of Acomb. The report recommends that the Traffic Regulation Orders are implemented.
- Holly Bank Annex A pt 1, item 58 PDF 539 KB
- Holly Bank Annex A pt 2, item 58 PDF 486 KB
- Holly bank Annex B, item 58 PDF 32 KB
- Holly Bank petitions Annex C, item 58 PDF 1 MB
- Holly bank Annex D, item 58 PDF 21 KB
Advice of the Advisory Panel
That the Executive Member for City Strategy be advised to:
(i) Approve the implementation of no waiting at any time restrictions at the Robin Grove, Trevor Grove, Nigel Grove, Anderson Grove, Mildred Grove and Jennifer Grove junctions as advertised and detailed at Option 1; 1.
(ii) Implement the remaining proposed restrictions for Holly Bank Road and Collingwood Road as proposed. 2.
(iii) Inform those making representations and the lead petitioners of the decisions taken.
Decision of the Executive Member for City Strategy
RESOLVED:That the advice of the Advisory Panel be accepted and endorsed.
REASON: (i) To improve visibility and manoeuvrability at the junctions for residents.
(ii) To facilitate the return of the bus service to the area.
(iii) To update all concerned on the proposals.
Members considered a report, which detailed objections made to the advertised Traffic Regulation Order for the introduction of waiting restrictions in the Holly Bank Road area of Acomb.
It was reported that the proposals had been put forward to manage parking that took place in the area. As a consequence of the parking the bus service had experienced delays and the service had been re-routed onto Hamilton Drive. In addition complaints had also been received from some local residents about the level of parking that took place on the corners of the short cul de sacs off Holly Bank Road.
The following additional information was circulated at the meeting:
- Officer update in relation to additional representations received, including details of the general areas represented by 3 petitions;
- Letters supporting the restrictions and the restoring of the bus service from residents of Heath Close, Holly Bank Grove, Anderson Grove;
- Emails supporting the restrictions and the resumption of the bus service from residents of Jennifer Grove, Holly Bank Road and Mildred Grove;
- Emails objecting to the restoration of the No 16 bus service from a resident of Collingwood Grove (2);
- Document from Cllr Alexander, detailing the current proposals, objections received, consultation and revised compromise proposals.
Officers confirmed that their consultation had covered a wide area and that if members also wished to impose restrictions at the junction of Clive Grove this could be included in the Traffic Regulation Order.
In answer to Members questions, Mr Eames of First York confirmed that, if waiting restrictions were imposed, the half hourly bus service would be re-routed on to the Holly Bank Loop but that this would not be with a hopper bus.
Members confirmed that there was a need to tackle the parking problems that existed in this area and provide a regular bus service for residents. It was suggested that, if approval was given for the restrictions, the Ward Committee could examine any additional parking issues and look at hardening verges, lay-bys etc.
Other members questioned whether the proposals were a heavy solution for the problems encountered and if a compromise could be found.
Following further discussion consideration was given to the following Options:
1. Approve the implementation of the proposals as advertised (see Annex A). This option would ensure good visibility and manoeuvrability at the junctions and allow the bus company to reintroduce the bus service in the knowledge that the problems of obstruction had been resolved.
2. Approve the implementation of the proposals at the junctions only. This option would ensure good visibility and manoeuvrability at the junctions and would allow the bus company to reassess the suitability of this route for the bus service knowing that at key areas there would no longer be parking issues for their drivers to overcome.
3. Approve the implementation of the proposals at the junctions and introduce a restriction with less severity than the 7am to 7pm restriction. For example, if the restrictions were to be implemented between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday, ... view the full minutes text for item 58