Agenda and minutes

Venue: The George Hudson Board Room - 1st Floor West Offices (F045). View directions

Contact: Democratic Services  Democracy Officer

Webcast: video recording

Items
No. Item

1.

Declarations of Interest

 

At this point in the meeting, Members are asked to declare:

 

·        any personal interests not included on the Register of Interests

·        any prejudicial interests or

·        any disclosable pecuniary interests

 

which they may have in respect of business on this agenda.

 

 

Minutes:

Members were asked to declare any personal interests not included on the Register of Interests, any prejudicial interests or any disclosable pecuniary interests which they might have in respect of business on the agenda.  None were declared.

2.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 73 KB

To approve and sign the minutes of the meeting of the Local Plan Working Group held on 30 November 2015.

Minutes:

Resolved:  That the minutes of the meeting held on 30 November 2015 be approved as a correct record and then signed by the Chair.

 

3.

Public Participation

At this point in the meeting, members of the public who have registered their wish to speak, regarding an item on the agenda or an issue within the remit of the Working Group, may do so.  The deadline for registering is Friday 24 June 2016 at 5.00pm.

 

Filming or Recording Meetings

Please note this meeting may be filmed and webcast and that includes any registered public speakers, who have given their permission.  This broadcast can be viewed at http://www.york.gov.uk/webcasts.

 

Residents are welcome to photograph, film or record Councillors and Officers at all meetings open to the press and public. This includes the use of social media reporting, i.e. tweeting.  Anyone wishing to film, record or take photos at any public meeting should contact the Democracy Officer (whose contact details are at the foot of this agenda) in advance of the meeting.

 

The Council’s protocol on Webcasting, Filming & Recording of Meetings ensures that these practices are carried out in a manner both respectful to the conduct of the meeting and all those present.  It can be viewed at http://www.york.gov.uk/downloads/file/6453/protocol_for_webcasting_filming_and_recording_of_council_meetingspdf

Minutes:

It was reported that there had been six registrations to speak under the Council’s Public Participation Scheme and that one Member of Council had also registered to speak.

 

Mr Kit Bennett, member of Frack Free York, spoke in respect of the unconventional gas industry and the Joint Minerals and Waste Plan. He stated that Frack Free York was opposed to shale gas wells and urged Members to put in place conditions to protect residents from the worst effects of such developments, including the potential use of buffer zones.  He drew attention to issues in respect of traffic congestion and ground water pollution and stated that he was in support of the petition that would be presented by Councillor Kramm.

 

Mr Allan Charlesworth spoke on behalf of York Action Group Alliance.  He stated that the Local Plan – Preferred Sites 2016 document addressed many of the concerns that the Action Group had expressed about the previous plan, particularly in respect of the safeguarding of green belt and the need to protect the historic character and setting of York and retaining prime agricultural land.  The Group was pleased with the plan’s realism and the scaling back of the housing figures.  They believed that the plan provided an acceptable framework which now required public legitimacy.  It was hoped that this could be achieved through consensus rather than challenge.

 

Ms Helen Kettlebora spoke in respect of the Joint Minerals and Waste Plan.  She sought assurances from Members that they would take seriously the issue of shale gas extraction.

 

Mr Richard Barton, How Planning Consultants, spoke on behalf of Barwood Developments.  He stated that the Council was taking a high risk approach in reducing the housing requirement and was concerned about the approach in respect of safeguarded land and the robustness of the Council’s evidence base.  Mr Barton drew attention to information he had tabled regarding Moor Lane, Woodthorpe and stated why he believed that this was a suitable site for residential development.

 

Mr Eamonn Keogh spoke on behalf of York Property Forum – Chamber of Commerce.  He welcomed the publication of the next steps for the York Local Plan and stated that businesses needed the certainty that could be provided through a Local Plan. He stated that the Plan needed to ensure permanent green belt boundaries and have sufficient flexibility to reduce the risk of the Plan failing at examination.  He drew particular attention to the York Central site and ensuring that there was a match between employment demand and supply over the plan period.  He also drew attention to the potential opportunities presented by projects such as HS2 and HS3. He expressed concern about the absence of a strategy detailing how the city could take advantage of these opportunities.

 

Mr Brian Watson commented on the following matters:

·        He stated that he did not believe that residents should be encouraged to downsize unless this was for health reasons or because it was their personal choice.  

·        The relocation of staff to York through their employment  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

City of York Local Plan - Preferred Sites Consultation pdf icon PDF 645 KB

This report asks Members to recommend that the Executive approve the publication of a document entitled “Local Plan – Preferred Sites 2016” for consultation.  The document is attached as Annex A to the report.  The document draws on the previous stages of consultation and technical work undertaken to support the plan.  Its purpose is to allow the public and other interested parties to comment on additional work relating to housing and employment land need and supply.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Referring to issues that had been raised under the Public Participation item, officers confirmed that City of York Council was working with North Yorkshire County Council and North Yorkshire Moors National Park Authority to prepare a Joint Waste and Mineral Plan for North Yorkshire.  This would be presented to Members for consideration in October 2016.

 

Members considered a report that asked them to recommend that the Executive approve the publication of a document entitled “Local Plan – Preferred Sites 2016” for consultation.  The document drew on the previous stages of consultation and technical work undertaken to support the plan.  Its purpose was to allow the public and other interested parties to comment on additional work relating to housing and employment land need and supply.  The document was attached as Annex A to the report.

 

It was noted that, subject to Member approval, the intention was to commence consultation on the “Local Plan – Preferred Sites 2016” document in July.  Consultation would be in accordance with the Council’s adopted Statement of Community Involvement (2007) and would be for an eight week period. Representations made would then be taken into consideration in drafting the next stage of the plan, the publication draft.

 

Officers offered an update in respect of Site H6 – Land to the rear of The Square on Tadcaster Road.  Use of this site would be restricted to use class C3B – six people living together as a single household receiving an element of care and would be in association with the Wilberforce Trust.

 

Members commented on the following issues:

·        Some Members were very concerned that the level of affordable housing was not sufficient.  Examples given included the high infrastructure costs for York Central which would present a challenge in securing affordable housing.

·        In response to some concerns raised regarding windfalls, and the percentage of these that would be affordable, officers confirmed that figures had been calculated by projecting forward a mean average over the last ten years therefore this reflected the characteristics of sites during that time.  There was a need for this to be given further consideration in respect of affordable housing provision.

·        The outcome of the recent referendum may impact on aspects of the plan, although it was acknowledged that this could not yet be ascertained.  Officers commented that it was not possible to know the potential impacts of the referendum on Plan making at this time and that it was important for the Council to demonstrate good progress with the Local Plan in light of the Government deadlines and to allow the public and other interested parties to have their say.

·        A view was put forward that the plan should make reference to the mechanism by which a brownfield first policy would be achieved.  Officers acknowledged that further work on trajectories and delivery rates would need to be carried out but that the Plan would seek to phase brownfield sites first where possible.

·        Some concerns were expressed as to whether appropriate risk assessments had been undertaken,  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

 

Feedback
Back to the top of the page